1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Spur-thighed Greek and Marginated

Discussion in 'Greek tortoises' started by georgeamis, May 6, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. georgeamis

georgeamis New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    London
    I have had a spur-thighed greek tortoise (Noah) since October 2018, and he is lovely!

I am considering getting another tortoise, I have read up on and researched the extra space and other considerations needed when introducing two tortoises.

My question is, can Noah be joined by a marginated tortoise, or is it better for him to be joined by another spur-thighed greek tortoise?

Or additionally is there another type of tortoise that would get on with Noah?
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Torts are loners , they don’t want to share their food , water ,or their hide box !
  3. georgeamis

georgeamis New Member

London
    That wasn't my question
    But thanks anyway :)
  4. Ben02

Ben02 Well-Known Member

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
    As @Grandpa Turtle 144 said, tortoise should not be in pairs. Also you must not mix species unless you know their background as they can carry harmful bacteria. Even then I would not recommend it.
    TortillaTheTortioise likes this.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    The answer to your question is just what Grampa turtle said: Neither. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. You will end up with a dominant and a subordinant. The dominant will continuously try to get the meeker tortoise out of the territory. The meeker tortoise will try to stay hidden to keep out of his way/sight. He will stop eating, he won't grow, he will eventually die and that takes a LONG time. Very stressful for both animals. Groups might work if the enclosure is big enough, but pairs very, very seldom.

The other part of the answer is that species should never be mixed.
  6. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above. Tortoises are not a social species. Another tortoise added to the enclosure is only seen as competition for everything.

If you want to get a second tortoise, you should get a second enclosure for it too. Greeks in particular can be very aggressive in pairs.

I also discourage mixing species. I keep multiple different subspecies and locales of Greek tortoises and I won't even mix them.
    Ben02 likes this.
  7. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I’m sorry I miss understood your question. Will you re- state it so I can answer it properly.