Spur thighed tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

5 Year Member
I've been told to introduce my self so hello I'm Stuart I've just taken ownership of two spur thighed tortoises they are 3 and 4 I believe.

Unfortunately due to the size of my house they will be kept out side so I have built an insulated tortoise house out of a rabbit hutch with the intention of letting them out to roam the garden as much as possible.

I would love your opinions on any way of making their house better for them, making it bigger is not an option unfortunately.

I am also aware the tortoise have pyramiding but it seems to be a lot flatter where the new growth is so I assume they were fed too much in there childhood hopefully they will continue to improve.

Attached are some photos of them and the house any advice is always welcome.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378569852.773051.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378569876.791524.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378569919.458757.jpg

2 x Spur thighed tortoises

Living in GB

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Stuart, and welcome to the Forum!!

It would be great if you could set your habitat up so it opened up to outdoors and allowed the tortoise to roam in the garden. I know you live in Great Britain, but there are many UK'ers who keep tortoises that live outside most of the year. They really do much better when they have access to outside.

The habitat in your pictures isn't big enough for two full grown tortoises like what you have. Its big enough for a sleeping box, but not for them to live in.

stu

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

what you have suggested is what I am planning, I just need to build the ramp and put in some curtains or something to try keep the heat in the house.
Unfortunately I had to get them before I was fully ready.

2 x Spur thighed tortoises

Living in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.