Squash Face

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Every evening I take a treat out to Bob's shed and I visit with him and socialize with him, just spending some time with him because I think he spends too much time alone, and he is getting too aggressive. He rams me when I do something he doesn't like, like sweeping out his shed while he is basking, or cleaning up poop while he is in his sleeping box. He rams me hard and sometimes he actually scares me. He is very strong and I really don't have any control over him. He does some things that I have trained him to do, but when he is mad, he could hurt me, or someone else. He jumps at me and does that scrabble thing and that scares me. Anybody else with big tortoises know what I mean by that jump scrabble thing? He's rammed me and that hurts. So I spend time with him every evening faithfully. I bring different treats and he leaves treats for me, the sweetie. This night he left these treats under his basking light so they got dry and toasty and easy to pick up, even tho they were stuck on the floor...
2dt9508.jpg

So while I was busy cleaning up the floor, he was busy stealing his nightly treat before it was time to have it...
30w8a2r.jpg

I think that softened squash is his favorite treat even more than strawberries, awe that's probably not true, anything is his favorite treat...
33nyik2.jpg

So I just sit on the floor next to him and rub his carapace and talk to him while he ignores me and eats his stuff...
2prtm5l.jpg

I like to watch him eat as he has no manners and makes very odd noises as he stuffs his face some sound like a hollow echo...
b4hkiu.jpg

He got the stuff all over his face and now in his eye...
smt8g1.jpg

I like the way he uses his leg to clean off his face and the squash from his eye...
zlkx4.jpg

OMG! This is not very regal for King RobertIII...
29zvc7q.jpg

15ppoya.jpg

Do you think he's laughing?
w2orxx.jpg

He's going to bite the camera...
2cxvzp0.jpg

Goofball, this is some face only a mother can love..
286c6.jpg

Well, I hope you got a giggle out of this. So after he eats all the squash and I am done rubbing his carapace and talking to him and just trying to socalize him, I clean his face like any good Mommie would...
or2y2u.jpg

You know, it's funny, he never rams me or jumps at me in the evening when I come in with squash...I wonder why that is???

turtletania

5 Year Member
Absolutely Wonderful. He is just so adorable. Oh and he definitely looks like he is laughing.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
WOW some of those shots are hilarious lol great looking sully !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is one spoiled tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Maggie, you and Bob never fail to brighten any day with your pictures and stories. Thank you!

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't other people feed treats to their tortoises? I can't be the only one. I don't think mine are that spoiled. I take pictures of Bob but not the other tortoises, they're smaller so it's hard to get the camera down there at small tort level. Guess I'll have to start doing that. I don't think Bob is that spoiled and I don't think it's that unusual to post pictures of him...so there!!!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Maggie he is awesome, I just love the one where he is "laughing"! So cute, I mean handsome! Those are great pictures and cute captions, thanks for sharing!

Merry christmas, I hope you, Bob and the rest of your crew have a great day!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
Don't other people feed treats to their tortoises?

I do...lol, but with mine it tends to either be worms or in the summer, ears of sweet corn. :D It's just the way Bob looks as he eats and your amusing telling that makes it so special Maggie.:D

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
some gr8 pics nice mess i like the open mouth shot its like a little kid when you say what are you eating and they just open their mouth and show you

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
It looks like he see's the squash on his face and wants to bite it but can't reach it. LOL Thanks for sharing Maggie.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cute!

I fed my lil' Red-foots some treats yesterday but I doubt anyone here would appreciate seeing a pinkie being rent asunder. It was fun to watch but kinda gross at the same time.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Aww Maggie, you are an amazing tort mother :) Bob is very lucky and Boy is he adorable or what! I love the suqash face :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Taco gets a bit of squash every day, too, though I wouldn't call it a treat...she generally ignores it as she does all food, but I figure she'll eat when she's hungry, so I just put the fresh food out every day and hope for the best.

Maggie, that's a bit worrisome that Bob is getting aggressive. Do you think it's just from being cooped up in the winter time? Is it just typical for a male Sulcata?

I just don't want you to get hurt.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think he is spending too much time inside alone. That is why I am faithfully spending more time with him. And it is proving to be fruitful as he is acting much nicer to me...

Stephanie Logan said:
Taco gets a bit of squash every day, too, though I wouldn't call it a treat...she generally ignores it as she does all food, but I figure she'll eat when she's hungry, so I just put the fresh food out every day and hope for the best.

Maggie, that's a bit worrisome that Bob is getting aggressive. Do you think it's just from being cooped up in the winter time? Is it just typical for a male Sulcata?

I just don't want you to get hurt.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hail King Robert III! It's probably because you don't have something for him everytime that he rams you:p Aladar is spoiled...he gets something everyday! Tortoise lasagne one day, cactus the next and dandelion greens the following! Enough of each to keep him eating at least 15 minutes...if he polishes it off...fine! He can eat grass the rest of the day! If not...he can finish it off later that day...that and the fact that he's eating a substantial amount of Timothy in his den...there is less and less every morning! I add to it every 3 days or so! He's not quite 20 inches, but I'll bet he's a solid 50 pounds!

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds like he's going to catch up to Bob soon as he is staying right about 80 pounds...
How about some recent pictures of Aladar?

DeanS said:
Hail King Robert III! It's probably because you don't have something for him everytime that he rams you:p Aladar is spoiled...he gets something everyday! Tortoise lasagne one day, cactus the next and dandelion greens the following! Enough of each to keep him eating at least 15 minutes...if he polishes it off...fine! He can eat grass the rest of the day! If not...he can finish it off later that day...that and the fact that he's eating a substantial amount of Timothy in his den...there is less and less every morning! I add to it every 3 days or so! He's not quite 20 inches, but I'll bet he's a solid 50 pounds!

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Need tried squash with my torts! What is the best way,(cooked,raw,both). What about sweets potato?

M

Maggie Cummings

myrtle651 said:
Need tried squash with my torts! What is the best way,(cooked,raw,both). What about sweets potato?

Soften either in the microwave and your torts will love you for it...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Maggie ~ you always have the best story with great pics. Thank you for sharing both.

still waiting for the book... (plan to buy 3 at least.)

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.