Squash, Zucchini and Redfoot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My neighbor has been giving me loads of squash and zuchini. I grille it. Boil it. Etc. I'm getting tired of eating it, frankly.
Question is can my Redfoot clan have some very infrequently or are these plants from the dangerous "nightshade" family?
Thanks.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My neighbor has been giving me loads of squash and zuchini. I grille it. Boil it. Etc. I'm getting tired of eating it, frankly.
Question is can my Redfoot clan have some very infrequently or are these plants from the dangerous "nightshade" family?
Thanks.
As far as I am aware it's all OK. Plant, fruit and seeds. I've fed squash a few times with seeds and skin. Zuchinni is part of the squash family I think. See what others say.

I grew some dwarf zuchinni's some years back. Ended up with 100's of the bloody things, got fed up of them. I ended up mass producing soup just to use them up. :rolleyes:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Prairie Mom

I can't comment on redfoots specifically, but there's nothing wrong with any part of the plant. I've also happily given my tortoise zucchini as a treat and have used every part of the plants in large amounts of her diet.

If you're drowning in zucchini, be aware that you can chop the fresh vegetables up and freeze them. I have an alligator onion chopper and I'll use it to dice the zucchini up in little squares, freeze them open on a cookie sheet (so the pieces won't clump together), and then bag the frozen zucchini bits to use in the winter pouring out your desired amount as you go. You can add them to things like soups, spaghetti sauce, stir fries, and mixed vegetables. You'll be happy for them in the winter.

As for Zucchini plants... All parts of the plant are excellent tortoise food and can be preserved for times when food is more scarce. The flowers don't last long, but I have dried and saved the leaves for winter and chopped up the stems and frozen them which my tortoise LOVES! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...etain-good-texture.128563/page-2#post-1201151 Good tortoise food!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I see. I took what I read as a do "not feed them to your tortoises."
Good. I'll give them some today. As for freezing them. I'm not sure that there is ever a time of year when growing tortoise, or people food would not work.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My iguanas and bearded dragons have always enjoyed squash too (zucchini less) so I usually had some grated on hand to add to their salads.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thanks.

The yellow and green squash you find at the stores?

I've been feeding it to everything for as long as I've had tortoises. :eek:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Zucchini and squash are fruits and much more like what redfoots eat in the wild than bananas and apples. Go for it! I am not aware of any special restriction when it comes to the tropical tortoises. They love them, and you do not need to skin them, chop them, or anything. If you have small torts, you can cut or break them apart to help them get started breaking through the skin,

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Zeropilot. I did not mean to imply that there is anything wrong or anything cutting them up, I am just tired of the 'chop everything up' advice. Whenever possible, I recommend whole foods and peels, rinds, etc. to better simulate natural diets and to provide some enrichment.

But, I also often tossed them what I had left over after chopping things up for salads or stews. It ain't wrong by any means and I apologize for suggesting it might be!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Zeropilot. I did not mean to imply that there is anything wrong or anything cutting them up, I am just tired of the 'chop everything up' advice. Whenever possible, I recommend whole foods and peels, rinds, etc. to better simulate natural diets and to provide some enrichment.

But, I also often tossed them what I had left over after chopping things up for salads or stews. It ain't wrong by any means and I apologize for suggesting it might be!
I'm never offended by information intended to help.
I didn't take it as criticism.:)