Squeaking.... Please help!

Whayla

I just checked on my young red footed tortoise, Tortuga. She is making a squeaking noise when she breathes and it is really freaking me out. I have done research and heard that this is usually a sign of a RI.
She was not making this sound yesterday, so I'm really worried. She has been eating very well, as usual, and hasn't seemed to have a loss in energy either. She has been wandering around her tortoise palace and seems to be as normal as ever. The day before yesterday I cleaned her table so it is all fresh and clean, but that is the only thing I have done to her recently. (Besides her usual soaks of course). The substrate I used is the same kind I have been using since I adopted her; a mixture of coco coir and cypress mulch. She has her usual "spoil me" attitude going on, but I am really worried about the sounds she is making.
I may be freaking out a little.
I really just need input and maybe a few calming words. Anything helps.
Thank you.

Whayla

I just checked her again and she is no longer making the squeaking noise, or it has become fainter because I can no longer hear it. It may be coming and going, but I honestly am not sure. I just am a paranoid tortoise parent and would love a little more insight from someone who has possibly experienced this as well?
Thanks again for the wisdom filled responses I always receive when I am in a crazed tortoise parent mode.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
It can be from an RI but don't panic, it could also be from food caught in the throat or some other minor issue that is nothing to worry about. Keep looking for other signs of RI and someone more knowledgeable with Redfoots should be along before to long. I have two sulcatas and two leopards that used to squeak and croak like frogs and none of them was from an RI and all of them grew out of it and are doing great.

Whayla

Thank you for the kind words, Saleama. I really appreciate your response. No doubt that I will be checking her constantly for other RI signs and I will be doing a vet check if anything comes up in the next little while.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely it isn't an RI, or anything to worry about. If you see any signs of runny nose, you can raise the temps about five degrees and sometimes this makes what ever it is go away, kinda like a little cold then and RI. My leopard, when he was younger would also sometimes squeak. It wasn't a constant and it never developed into anything.

Whayla

I have been watching her very closely the past few days and nothing has become of the noise. Thank you for reassuring me that my little girl will most likely be fine. She has yet to make the noise again, and is breathing and acting as normal. I appreciate the response. It is comforting to have kind words from other tortoise parents!:D