Squeaking seems more like communication

HelloImLah

Location (City and/or State)
Chard
Hello everyone.
First time poster here on the site, I have a really odd question.

I have two marginated tortoises both just over 2 years old, A Female named Shelly and a Male named Marble.
Recently, I've started noticing Squeaks from Marble from his nose
I have done a extensive search on google of which all queries would say it's a respiratory infection but nothing seems to add up to lead to it.
The squeak is coming from his nose always on a exhale which is a high whistle, his breathing is nice and strong as always and doesn't show any signs of struggling to breath or gasping with his mouth, there is also been no discharge or change in behaviour.
And the really odd thing is, He doesn't do it all the time but mainly when i am talking to him and giving him attention for example.

As of writing this he is a sleep, No squeaking at all.
When i woke him up a minute ago and was talking to him to he then started and he seems to be in control of it.
I've had him for cuddles also the other day, and similar, situation, He walked close to me and started to squeak on and off in a controlled manner as i talked to him and went to my ear as if to say, Look I'm talking.
I know it sounds crazy and honestly i feel a little crazy, but i feel like he's figured out how to make a sound as a way to try and talk since i've talked to them since i had them at like 2 months old :'3

But yeah, What do you think? Weird huh?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome!

My thought on this would be that your tortoise breathes heavier when you are around, and thus creates the nose whistling where otherwise you would not hear it. It happens to us too as humans, but I certainly don't think I could control a snot whistle.

What we could definitely tell you is if the habitat will cause a respiratory infection depending on your tort's species and set up. Feel free to send pictures of the tort itself and its enclosure, including lighting and substrate.

What I noticed my tortoise does do for communication is, when she is outside she often makes clicking sounds with her mouth. I don't know if she is trying to find another tortoise, or what, but she does not do this in her home.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tortoises do not use sound to communicate in normal situations. The exception to that is while courting and breeding. Males become very vocal during courting and especially during actual copulation by making several different levels of hissing and clucking vocalizations.
Squeaking sounds are usually a sign of respiratory blockage, either fluids which are usually associated with respiratory infection, or actual nasal blockage, usually caused by debris. More often than not that debris is material from the substrate. This is especially true if the substrate is too dry. Any respiratory blockage should be considered serious and dealt with accordingly.
Clicking sounds are caused by the top and bottom jaw coming together. These sounds are usually heard when a tortoise is eating, especially when using it's jaws to tear tougher foods. If the sound is heard only when a tortoise is eating there is probably no concern. If the clicking sound is constant or the tortoise seems to be struggling to close it's mouth while the clicking is taking place then it can be a case where the top and bottom jaws are not properly aligned. This can be due to be growth related malformation or misalignment due to injury. Depending upon severity, malformation may or may not be able to be corrected. Misalignment in most cases can be corrected and may even correct itself.

HelloImLah

Chard
Hello and welcome!

My thought on this would be that your tortoise breathes heavier when you are around, and thus creates the nose whistling where otherwise you would not hear it. It happens to us too as humans, but I certainly don't think I could control a snot whistle.

What we could definitely tell you is if the habitat will cause a respiratory infection depending on your tort's species and set up. Feel free to send pictures of the tort itself and its enclosure, including lighting and substrate.

What I noticed my tortoise does do for communication is, when she is outside she often makes clicking sounds with her mouth. I don't know if she is trying to find another tortoise, or what, but she does not do this in her home.

Their substrate at the moment consists of beechwood chippings for the majority of there enclosure with bedding which is hemp. I do regularly spray daily to give humidity as recommended.
Lighting is a reptile merc bulb for heat and UV placed down at the opposite end to there bedding to allow a hot side and a cooler side.