Squirt and Crush from South Carolina

Napper51

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
This is Squirt and Crush coming to you from Summerville SC. It’s been a beautiful weekend here and I brought their terrarium outside for the first time. I have an area in the yard that I put them where nothing can get to them but they spend their whole time trying to escape. I thought if I brought their whole habitat out they might enjoy it better. They have been pretty active out here, you can see by the water dish! They are 9 ish months old. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on their size and if they are growing at a normal rate?
So thankful to have found this forum. Looking forward to getting new ideas and info on them!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep a close eye on bullying. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. If you have two females you might get away with it. Two males or one of each sex then they need their own enclosure.
Also they should not be put outside in the sun/heat in a glass aquarium. They can over heat very quickly. If you have an outdoor enclosure for them use that for their outside time.
Also what size is the aquarium?

Napper51

South Carolina
Keep a close eye on bullying. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. If you have two females you might get away with it. Two males or one of each sex then they need their own enclosure.
Also they should not be put outside in the sun/heat in a glass aquarium. They can over heat very quickly. If you have an outdoor enclosure for them use that for their outside time.
Also what size is the aquarium?
The breeder suspects both males. I haven’t noticed any bullying yet. They seem to want to be close to one another at times. Their enclosure is 20 x 20 x 10. I have kept an eye on the temp while they’ve been out. They just don’t seem happy in the other space in the grass we have for them.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
This is Squirt and Crush coming to you from Summerville SC. It’s been a beautiful weekend here and I brought their terrarium outside for the first time. I have an area in the yard that I put them where nothing can get to them but they spend their whole time trying to escape. I thought if I brought their whole habitat out they might enjoy it better. They have been pretty active out here, you can see by the water dish! They are 9 ish months old. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on their size and if they are growing at a normal rate?
So thankful to have found this forum. Looking forward to getting new ideas and info on them!
Welcome to the forum! The soil and perlite substrate you’re using should be removed from the enclosure asap. Soil is usually made from compost and there is no way to know what is in it. It could contain plant matter that is toxic for tortoises. The white perlite is usually a temptation for tortoises to eat and is also toxic and can cause impaction. It’s a dangerous risk that isn’t worth taking. I would remove it immediately and replace it with coco coir or reptibark or a combination of the two.

Napper51

South Carolina
Welcome to the forum! The soil and perlite substrate you’re using should be removed from the enclosure asap. Soil is usually made from compost and there is no way to know what is in it. It could contain plant matter that is toxic for tortoises. The white perlite is usually a temptation for tortoises to eat and is also toxic and can cause impaction. It’s a dangerous risk that isn’t worth taking. I would remove it immediately and replace it with coco coir or reptibark or a combination of the two.
I have a hard time finding things for the aquarium. I’ve never heard of the coco coir, what is it and where do I find something like that?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I have a hard time finding things for the aquarium. I’ve never heard of the coco coir, what is it and where do I find something like that?
It can usually be found at any pet store or greenhouse. It is sometimes sold in bricks that you soak in water and it expands or you can buy it in bags, already hydrated. Eco earth is one of the names it is sold under. It should be available on Amazon too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The breeder suspects both males. I haven’t noticed any bullying yet. They seem to want to be close to one another at times. Their enclosure is 20 x 20 x 10. I have kept an eye on the temp while they’ve been out. They just don’t seem happy in the other space in the grass we have for them.
Their outside enclosure is 20x20x10 feet?
What is the size of the aquarium? Most aquariums are too small for two hatchlings let alone 2, 9 month olds.
The natural grassy outdoor enclosure is best for them when you take them out for short periods. It needs lots of shade and cover, plants, bushes, low trees for them to feel safe. Their preditors are from above.
One always needing to be by the other and following each other, specially nose to butt is bullying.

Napper51

South Carolina
The 20 x 20 x 10 is their normal enclosure. I just brought it outside to see what their reaction to outside would be in their “safe place” since usually they spend most of their outside time trying to escape.

Attachments

• 9ADE0D7E-B785-4A58-89D9-BB61BA13425E.jpeg
    9ADE0D7E-B785-4A58-89D9-BB61BA13425E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The 20 x 20 x 10 is their normal enclosure. I just brought it outside to see what their reaction to outside would be in their “safe place” since usually they spend most of their outside time trying to escape.
This is probably because the pen is too 'open.' They don't feel safe and are trying to find a place with more cover. Put some large boulders, potted plants, etc. . . something for them to hide under, and they'll stop trying to escape.