Squirt, My New Sully Hatchling!

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
Hi everyone! This is my new baby sully, Squirt. I have been researching Sulcatas for months and months and finally took the plunge last week and contacted Lance (from here on the forum) about adopting one of his hatchlings. The little fella arrived yesterday morning and seems to be doing great so far and has even been eating a good bit! Today I gave him a mixture of bok choy, collard greens, grasses, dandelion, clover, and some mazuri with calcium supplement sprinkled on it. Does that sound ok? I am terrified that I am going to make a mistake with him so I hope you guys don't mind the many questions that I am sure I will have!

So how about some pictures?! I do apologize for the picture quality, I was using my phone. And please excuse the substrate that seems to be sticking all over him. I piled up a bunch of bedding under his loft and he loves to burrow in it :)

Squirt is almost 9 weeks old.
11/06: 55 grams

Attachments

• IMG_5163_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_5163_Fotor.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5165.jpg
    IMG_5165.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5167_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_5167_Fotor.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5148 2_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_5148 2_Fotor.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great and welcome. Be careful with that ramp - looks too easy for ur new tort to tumble and land on his back. Keep up with the updates!

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Thanks for pointing that out. I've seen him go up and down it without any issues, but I will keep and eye on it just incase :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ogh, im sure he does. But you dont want to have that one instance where u come home to find that hes been on his back for hours.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Ogh, im sure he does. But you dont want to have that one instance where u come home to find that hes been on his back for hours.
Definitely not! The picture does make the ramp look steeper than it really is. Would you mind looking at a picture of it from a different angle? If you think it's still too steep, I'll remake it :)

The loft is probably 4-5" from the bottom of the enclosure. You can kind of see in the picture where my sully is burrowed under the ramp to help give you an idea of size.

Attachments

• IMG_5189_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_5189_Fotor.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats. You did the very first and most important thing correctly! You bought from the right source!

You go ahead and ask as many questions as you like.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Thank you Tom! Actually, it was one of your posts on hatchling failure syndrome that convinced me to buy from a reputable TFO breeder rather than from one of the many pet stores near me that carry sulcatas! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the impression he gives at the top of his ramp. :) If you added higher sides to the ramp, then you would not have to worry about it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh, MY!!! He is a real cutie!! :)
I especially like the contrasting colors: dark banding around the light scutes!!! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom! Actually, it was one of your posts on hatchling failure syndrome that convinced me to buy from a reputable TFO breeder rather than from one of the many pet stores near me that carry sulcatas! :)

Well Lance does a great job starting his babies, and your reward for choosing wisely is going to be a happy healthy baby that will be with you for decades. Get yourself a gram scale and keep us all posted as he grows and thrives.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So cute!! I love your loft, it sounds like he as a great home :D
Your coir looks a tidbit dry, though! What's humidity like in there?

Gab5150

Central Ohio
So cute!! I love your loft, it sounds like he as a great home :D
Your coir looks a tidbit dry, though! What's humidity like in there?
Thank you :) And yeah it was definitely dry. I didn't know to soak/dampen it when I put it in the enclosure so it went in dry as a bone. I have been having a terrible time trying to keep the humidity up so this morning I went at the coir with a spray bottle until it was decently damp and now the humidity is at 81% :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Try pouring a cup of water (or two) into it until it's nice and moist :D It lasts a while too!

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Squirt doesn't exactly love his morning soaks, but at least he got to use the good Pyrex! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg