Sri Lankan or Indian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Have been confused, is my female Star Sri Lankan or Indian? Isn't she cute?

Attachments

• _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00283-20100421-1743.jpg
    _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00283-20100421-1743.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 164

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Mainland G. elegans most likely.. really too small to tell.

NERD

samstar

5 Year Member
I emailed Jerry Fife asking if mine might be a Sri Lankan and this is his reply:

They are same species, so it is impossible to know unless the origin of the tortoise is know. It is also just starting to develop adult patterns, but it looks like it might have wide yellow banding which often is an indication of a Sri Lankan. It is really impossible to know for sure.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
samstar said:
I emailed Jerry Fife asking if mine might be a Sri Lankan and this is his reply:

They are same species, so it is impossible to know unless the origin of the tortoise is know. It is also just starting to develop adult patterns, but it looks like it might have wide yellow banding which often is an indication of a Sri Lankan. It is really impossible to know for sure.

Email Douglas.. aka elegans.. see what he says...

NERD

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
samstar said:

Email Douglas.. aka elegans.. see what he says...

NERD

Good idea, thanks.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It looks like an Indian to me, which 99% of the available Stars are. A nice one at that, though. I hope that it does well for you. Best wishes Douglas Beard

samstar

5 Year Member
elegans said:
It looks like an Indian to me, which 99% of the available Stars are. A nice one at that, though. I hope that it does well for you. Best wishes Douglas Beard

Thanks Douglas, appreciate it.

samstar

5 Year Member
According to Richard Fife, they look like Sri Lankans but Douglas is saying Indian so honestly I'll just be happy with what I have.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
samstar said:
According to Richard Fife, they look like Sri Lankans but Douglas is saying Indian so honestly I'll just be happy with what I have.

Great Answer " Ill Be happy with what I have" :)

Ahhh yes ... welcome to the land of contridiction...

two top guys...... two different answers~:D
JD~

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You will know for sure when it stops growing! Many of the Indians from close to Pakistan have really great markings. The adult size on these animals is remarkably different (even in sub adults). Douglas

samstar

5 Year Member
elegans said:
You will know for sure when it stops growing! Many of the Indians from close to Pakistan have really great markings. The adult size on these animals is remarkably different (even in sub adults). Douglas

Pardon my ignorance but why 'stop growing'? Care to fill me in.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
N2TORTS said:
samstar said:

Great Answer " Ill Be happy with what I have" :)

Ahhh yes ... welcome to the land of contridiction...

two top guys...... two different answers~:D
JD~

Nobody is contradicting.... we all agree too young to tell!

NERD

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am just saying that as babies, many stars look very similar. The mature size of SriLankans is so much larger, a 4 year old Sri might be 2 times larger than an Indian of the same age. This is not just my observation and I have seen and raised more than a few. Best wishes with your star. They are really great animals. Douglas

samstar

5 Year Member
elegans said:
I am just saying that as babies, many stars look very similar. The mature size of SriLankans is so much larger, a 4 year old Sri might be 2 times larger than an Indian of the same age. This is not just my observation and I have seen and raised more than a few. Best wishes with your star. They are really great animals. Douglas

Douglas, thanks.I'll ask in a couple of years again. :)

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
elegans said:

douglas: what about this one? can we decided that thick line star are srilankan? but its very difficult to find like that one..

100_1436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.