Sri Lankan Star vs. an Indian Star tortoise.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
how does is sri lankan star tortoise different from indian star tortoise?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Copy and pasted from Dr. Doug Dix of Deerfernfarms.com

Indian Star are one of the most striking tortoises reasonably available to the typical tortoise enthusiast. They vary in size and to some degree color depending on which part of their home they range they originated from. Those from northern Indian and Sri Lanka tend to be the largest individuals with males reaching 8 inches and females up to 15inches. Those from southern Indian mature at closer to 5 to 6" for males, and 7 to 8" for females. Northern Indian stars tend to have more chocolate colored backgrounds to their shells while those from southern Indian and Sri Lanka tend more towards black. The closely related Burmese Star tortoise is similar in appearance to the Sri Lankins and southern Indians but grows much larger. They can be easily differentiated from G. elegans by two traits. First, the rays of the stars often link up perfectly with one another and these rays always originate from the center of each scute. No new rays are added as the shell grows. G. elegans' rays may or may not join up and a few new partial rays tend to arise at random as the shell grows. Secondly, the belly of Indian Stars also sport distinct rays similar to those on the carapice. Burmese Stars have much plainer bellies that resemble more just blocks of black and cream rather than radiating stars.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Some say one is smooth while the other is pyramided. But there are exceptions to both. So size is the only definitive answer. Sri lankens get much larger. Other than that no other difference and they can and do breed together. Technically they are the same species.

— Gus

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Look at how much room you have to offer as males grow much smaller than females.

— Gus

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Size seems to be the defining difference between Indian and Sri Lankan stars. Secondly that Northern Indian stars tend to be darker, but ultimately carapace patterning and coloration shows a lot of variation in all populations of Geochelone elegans.

TommyTheV

San Diego, CA
From what I read and seen the Sri Lankans are more active too, like the Burmese. The Indian Stars are too shy for me...

Cgeyer

Concord, MA
Is there a difference in personality between Indian Star Tortoise and a Sri Lankan. The post above states a different activity level. I try to get my babies outdoors for at least an hour a day. They have several soaks per day. A mineral bath once a week. The activity level is greater for my younger hatchlings. The oldest is 3 months and weighs 25 gm.