Sri Lankan VS Indian Star Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
HI

I know this is not a new topic to discuss. However, is there anyone over here ever seen a true Indian Star or Sri Lankan Star? How big a Sri Lankan Star can grow up to? 10LBS? Even though there is no gene difference based on "Star tortoise Book", I still doubt about it. Does the tortoise in the attachments is True Sri Lankan Star? Please comments, Thank you.

Attachments

• startortoises 770.JPG
    startortoises 770.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 476
  • startortoises 768.JPG
    startortoises 768.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 515

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Az tortoise compound said:
That is a beautiful animal. What is the age?

About 10 Years old.

I think this is one of the so called three subspecies (Northern Indian, Southern Indian, Sri Lankan). I think this is the Northern Indian one.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would expect a northern indian or even a sri lankan to be a little bigger. The best I can tell, this tortoise is approx 9 inches? I have an 8 inch southern indian star female. I need to read up on the star tortoise anatomy, but from memory I just think this one is a little on the smaller side to be sri lankan or northern indian. It could be just a particularly small adult. Who knows...beautiful tortoise either way.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Neal said:
I would expect a northern indian or even a sri lankan to be a little bigger. The best I can tell, this tortoise is approx 9 inches? I have an 8 inch southern indian star female. I need to read up on the star tortoise anatomy, but from memory I just think this one is a little on the smaller side to be sri lankan or northern indian. It could be just a particularly small adult. Who knows...beautiful tortoise either way.

Hi Neal,

Have you seen any True Sri Lankan Star Tortoise? How big they should be?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have young Sri Lanka stars from a reputable breeder, they are truely from Sri Lanka. As far as how big they typically get, I really don't know, I'd have to do some research. According to Tortoise Trust the record for Northern Indian stars is nearly 15 inches.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
According to Jerry Fife, Sri Lankin females can get over 12", southern Indian star females only around 7", and northern Indian females somewhere in between. If those are the only sizes to go by, it seems like the only way you would know for sure (without actually knowing where the tort is from), would be if your female was +12". Then you would know you have a Sri Lankin. If you have an adult female that is smaller, it seems like it could be any of the three locales.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
JeffG said:
According to Jerry Fife, Sri Lankin females can get over 12", southern Indian star females only around 7", and northern Indian females somewhere in between. If those are the only sizes to go by, it seems like the only way you would know for sure (without actually knowing where the tort is from), would be if your female was +12". Then you would know you have a Sri Lankin. If you have an adult female that is smaller, it seems like it could be any of the three locales.

Yeah Jeff, this is what I based on and think mine is Northern star tortoise. I know the True Sri lankan Star can grow up pretty big, but I do not think there are that many adult left in United States (approximate no more than 10 females).

Neal said:
I have young Sri Lanka stars from a reputable breeder, they are truely from Sri Lanka. As far as how big they typically get, I really don't know, I'd have to do some research. According to Tortoise Trust the record for Northern Indian stars is nearly 15 inches.

HI Neal,

Do you know how big the parents of your baby? any idea? by inches or weight. I think Weight should be more precise because True Sri Lankan is way heavier than adult Indian star tortoise.

Neal said:

I just take a look your pic in "Show Us your Star" thread and I do not think your big pair is True Indian Star tortoise even though they are beautiful. I think it is kind of mix. Let me post some true Indian Star tortoise later today.:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know the size of the adults I got my sri lankans from.

xiaobochu said:
I just take a look your pic in "Show Us your Star" thread and I do not think your big pair is True Indian Star tortoise even though they are beautiful. I think it is kind of mix. Let me post some true Indian Star tortoise later today.:)

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to the pictures.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
"Yeah Jeff, .... but I do not think there are that many adult left in United States (approximate no more than 10 females)."

What do you base this statement off of?

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Neal said:
I don't know the size of the adults I got my sri lankans from.

xiaobochu said:

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to the pictures.

Please see the True Southern Indian Star Tortoise that I used to have. You can see the star strip is White Yellow and Thick, but not Golden Yellow. The female is about 9 inches.
DSC07558.JPGDSC07559.JPG

Az tortoise compound said:
"Yeah Jeff, .... but I do not think there are that many adult left in United States (approximate no more than 10 females)."

What do you base this statement off of?

I think there are couple true Sri Lankan Star tortoise imported to United States during 1980s to 1990s. However, many of those star died or crosss-breeding with Indian star tortoises. Except those true star Breeders in the US still have couple True Sri Lankan Stars. I do not think there are many. SO this is my reason I am asking how big the Female Star have you guys ever seen. I am so curious to know. We should based on Length, Weight, Width to determin the size, not just Length.
I am so happy to see any person have see those big star in person or even own one or two.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Maybe I don't have as sharp of eyes as you do, but I am not seeing the diffence between white yellow and golden yellow. I do see the the thicker stipes in your tortoises than in mine. Is the thicker striping indicative of Southern Indian Stars?

Did you import these stars? How do you know they are from Southern India?

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Neal said:
Maybe I don't have as sharp of eyes as you do, but I am not seeing the diffence between white yellow and golden yellow. I do see the the thicker stipes in your tortoises than in mine. Is the thicker striping indicative of Southern Indian Stars?

Did you import these stars? How do you know they are from Southern India?

Yeah, probably it is harder to tell the difference from the picture. but I think those

experienced breeder can tell the difference.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have photos of the other two types?

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
NO, I do not.... This is the reason I wan to see those True Sri lankan badly.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.