Staining Inside of Closed Chambers Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hello guys I was wondering if maybe somebody could help me out. I'm in the process of building my closed chambers enclosure. I've stained the wood 2 coats of a dark black color on the outside and I'm going to do 3 to 4 coats of urethane on the inside plus I'm going to put epoxy on the floor and a few inches up the sides. I'm wondering would it be ok to stain the wood the same black color for the inside part and then put my 3 to 4 coats of urethane over the stain? Just wondering if the stain would be bad for the inside or if the urethane wouldn't work right being coated over stain?I'm going to put a picture of the stain I'm using below. Thanks!!! :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1376790576.111812.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1376790616.347971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Staining Inside of Closed Chambers Enclosure?

Yamaha4x4_19 said:
Hello guys I was wondering if maybe somebody could help me out. I'm in the process of building my closed chambers enclosure. I've stained the wood 2 coats of a dark black color on the outside and I'm going to do 3 to 4 coats of urethane on the inside plus I'm going to put epoxy on the floor and a few inches up the sides. I'm wondering would it be ok to stain the wood the same black color for the inside part and then put my 3 to 4 coats of urethane over the stain? Just wondering if the stain would be bad for the inside or if the urethane wouldn't work right being coated over stain?I'm going to put a picture of the stain I'm using below. Thanks!!! :)

Urethane is made to go over stain .As long as you let it air out for a week or so you should be fine.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mikeh

5 Year Member
The type of outdoor urethane you will be using goes well with oil based stain such as in your pic. It will also be fine to use with epoxy resin, staining the floor is your choice but obviously not needed. Let the stain dry before urethane. Like the look of ebony stain on your panels. Looks like you are doing great.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Awesome thank you!! Glad this stain is ok. It's been a lot of work so far and money but it'll be worth it in the end :) that pic of the stained wood was only after one coat. I've since done two coats and it looks so much better. Almost jet black. I've decided to only use on coat on the inside though. Just need alil on the inside just to make it look better than plain ol wood. Here's some pics after the 2nd coat :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1376855398.610470.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376855418.396033.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376855441.259305.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
I was referring to the bottom, as it will be covered with substrate, but either way.

How are you attaching the panels to each other?

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Here's a picture of my old tortoise table and I'm going to do it the same way. I have a 4x8 piece of plywood and I'm going to drill the screws through the bottom and then into the sides. Then put the 3x4 piece on the top that will hold the light fixtures and then put that open piece of wood (which there will be a piece of plexi glass in it) that's 5x4 on hinges and that'll be the door into the enclosure.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376858775.600148.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
Things to consider...

Given its a closed chamber now and will be kept warm and humid inside the plywood and plexi will try to swell inward given the difference in outside-inside temps. Especially if its in cool rooms or basement.

Are you screwing down the top sections or just laying them on top? Consider easy of access for when its time to change substrate, clean up or you need to get to the tort.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
I'm screwing in the top piece that's 3ftx4ft that will hold the lights. And the other top piece that's 5ftx4ft which is the open piece that the plexiglass will go in I'm going to set it on top and I have 3 hinges I'm going to put on the back and the whole 5ftx4ft will open up like a big door.

mikeh

5 Year Member
As long as you can reach over and to the far corner:)

Status
Not open for further replies.