Stanfield Heat Pad-- Not Hot and Scatches.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena
I just got my 2nd Stanfield heat pad Model #RS2B30. My first pad didn't seem to work as it barely got warm. I also have the Stanfield Power Controller Model F911 and have it set to '9'. I ordered from QC supply.

The orange pad also has lots of scratches like its been used. So i assumed the pad was defective.

So QC Supply sends me a new pad and says it should be new. This 2nd pad also has has scratches out of the box.

The 2nd pad gets warmer after about 20 min. I have the power regulator on 9.
Again not super hot but definitely.

I want to know if members have the same experience? and find that it works when my Sulcata, Huckleberry, is in his shed and it 40 degrees out?

Also does the pad just come with white scratches?

As for packaging there wasn't any. Pad just come loose in QC Supply Box... no separate box for the pad or regulator and instructions were simply wrapped around the cord. Is this how others received their pad?

Thanks for your assistance

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Does it get hot without using the regulator.??

kingasif said:
I just got my 2nd Stanfield heat pad Model #RS2B30. My first pad didn't seem to work as it barely got warm. I also have the Stanfield Power Controller Model F911 and have it set to '9'. I ordered from QC supply.

The orange pad also has lots of scratches like its been used. So i assumed the pad was defective.

So QC Supply sends me a new pad and says it should be new. This 2nd pad also has has scratches out of the box.

The 2nd pad gets warmer after about 20 min. I have the power regulator on 9.
Again not super hot but definitely.

I want to know if members have the same experience? and find that it works when my Sulcata, Huckleberry, is in his shed and it 40 degrees out?

Also does the pad just come with white scratches?

As for packaging there wasn't any. Pad just come loose in QC Supply Box... no separate box for the pad or regulator and instructions were simply wrapped around the cord. Is this how others received their pad?

Thanks for your assistance

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If its brand new I would think there should be no scratches at all. I would also be worried about there being no packing, box's get tossed around a lot during shiping so packing is important... I am guessing that they are sending you used or refurbished items...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I am looking into purchasing the 3'x3' Sranfield for WalkingRock... this sounds like a dealer I need to avoid! Who is it again? QC Supply?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always bought mine from the manufacturer (Osborne industries). They come in pristine condition, with no scratches.

Tony gave you a good suggestion. Sometimes the controllers are bad. Plug in the pig blanket directly to the outlet. If it gets hot, your controller is bad.

When you put it up to 9 on the dial it should get way too hot.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Pasadena
I just called Stanfield and got this info. They said it will take 20 - 30 min to get fully warm. Should go 20 - 30 degree above temp. (i am note sure mine got that hot)

The white scratches are fiberglass marks from assembly. I am going to test again this evening.

Emysemys when you say it should get way too hot is that testing it outside in cold air? How long should it take to get way too hot? When you plug it in directly it just gets super hot with no regulator?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
A good way to test would be to plug in the mat and read it with your temp gun. I keep my temp gun in the shed with my tort so I can check the mats, basking spots, etc constantly. If it is 50* outside, you should only expect the mat to heat to 70-85*, which could feel cool to your hand.

I have the F300 controller, and with this controller the temp of the mat set on low is 20* over ambient and the temp of the mat set on high is 30-35* above ambient. I assume that my mat would heat to 30-35* over ambient if I had no controller at all.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Pasadena
I wish i had a temp gun.

chairman said:
A good way to test would be to plug in the mat and read it with your temp gun. I keep my temp gun in the shed with my tort so I can check the mats, basking spots, etc constantly. If it is 50* outside, you should only expect the mat to heat to 70-85*, which could feel cool to your hand.

I have the F300 controller, and with this controller the temp of the mat set on low is 20* over ambient and the temp of the mat set on high is 30-35* above ambient. I assume that my mat would heat to 30-35* over ambient if I had no controller at all.

Thanks everyone. I tested again tonight. Let heat up for 60 min, no regulator. its about 55 degrees out. The pad got warm, not hot. I sat on it and could feel the warmth but definitely not hot.

Concerned this might not keep my tortoise that warm.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Reading temp by Touch is tough..your mat can be at 90 and it might feel cool to you..if you don't have a temp gun.. Use a thermometer...lay it on top and cover it with a folded towel..se what the temp reads after a few minutes..

Bare in mind those pads don't put out many btu's...And the air transfers a lot away

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Temp guns are actually fairly cheap. I bought mine from Harbor Freight when it was on sale and used one of their 20% off coupons... I think it set me back around $7. It looks like I'll have to replace the batteries on it on an annual basis but I've otherwise been happy with it. The more expensive units, like you'd find at a regular home improvement store, rarely cost much more than $30. They're definitely worth the investment.

Last year I had to add a CHE above a portion of my heat mat for me to feel comfortable with how warm my tortoise could opt to get. This year I have changed things up and I'm happy with just the mat so far (well, and a space heater and two basking bulbs away from the mat), but still have the CHE hanging around just in case. A combination of two (or more) heat sources may end up being your best bet.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Just as a comparison, I just got mine from QC this AM. It's 2x3, and I checked the temps. It varies a bit up to 116 degrees without any controls.

kingasif

5 Year Member
Pasadena
yagyujubei said:
Just as a comparison, I just got mine from QC this AM. It's 2x3, and I checked the temps. It varies a bit up to 116 degrees without any controls.

How did you get your temperature reading?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I just checkedit again 116 to 121 with a pe-2 temp gun.
kingasif said:
yagyujubei said:

How did you get your temperature reading?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you dont want it Hot.. just warm.. they sit right on it.. and if in an enclosed area,, it will help with ambient temp...

Status
Not open for further replies.