Star Lighting & Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hi,

There seems to be many opinions on what temp to keep your Star at and what lighting to provide. It is honestly very confusing for a newbie like me.

Here is my situation:

-2 year old Sri Lankan Star
-Wood tortoise table, 9" tall, 36" long
-Enclosed hidebox, 9" tall, 10" long
-The tortoise table sits on a console table in our family room. The table is approximately 3' off the ground. The table is surrounded by a bank of windows that face northwest.
-We keep our condo at 65 degrees in the winter. I placed a t-stat in the box this morning and it read 64 degrees. Please keep in mind that the tortoise is not home yet and is still with the breeder until we get his set-up right.
-I plan to buy a lamp stand and the Zoo Med Mini Double Deep Dome, with one UVB & one heat source, is this a good set-up for him?
*What wattage do I need for each bulb? This is where I get confused as there is so much conflicting info.
*What temp do I keep the hidebox, day & night, vs the open area, day & night?
-I plan to use cypress mulch in the open area and a mixture of coconut coir & sphag moss in the hidebox. is this okay?

Thanks so much!
:)
(Confused Torti Mom To Be)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I am really not too familiar with those stands/domey things. What size and type of bulbs come in it? I myself would certainly be using a CHE (ceramic heat element) for my night time heat source. It produces no light, but lots of heat. Can the dome thing have each light at a different level if needed?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you plan on elevating the humidity in his enclosure, you're temperatures are a bit too cold. I would keep himm at 75 - 80 degrees with humidity. If you don't intend on elevating the humidity in his enclosure, then your low temperature is ok as long as he can heat up during the day.

What type of lighting do you intend to use?

I agree with Jacqui about the CHE during the night time. If you can't get him outside at all during the day, you will need a good UVB emitting bulb. A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) emits UVB radiation and heat and is arguably the best source for reptile lighting. If you decide on the MVB I would also recommend using a UVB or full spectrum florescent. If you are able to get him outside frequently, you could get by with a regular incandescent bulb.

The wattage you will need is going to depend on a lot of factors. If your tortoise table isn't covered, you are going to have a hard time retaining the heat from your bulbs so you will need a higher wattage. You will have to try different wattage bulbs until you get the enclosure to the temperature you want.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Neal said:
If you plan on elevating the humidity in his enclosure, you're temperatures are a bit too cold. I would keep himm at 75 - 80 degrees with humidity. If you don't intend on elevating the humidity in his enclosure, then your low temperature is ok as long as he can heat up during the day.

What type of lighting do you intend to use?

I agree with Jacqui about the CHE during the night time. If you can't get him outside at all during the day, you will need a good UVB emitting bulb. A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) emits UVB radiation and heat and is arguably the best source for reptile lighting. If you decide on the MVB I would also recommend using a UVB or full spectrum florescent. If you are able to get him outside frequently, you could get by with a regular incandescent bulb.

The wattage you will need is going to depend on a lot of factors. If your tortoise table isn't covered, you are going to have a hard time retaining the heat from your bulbs so you will need a higher wattage. You will have to try different wattage bulbs until you get the enclosure to the temperature you want.

Hi Neal,

I have not purchased any lights yet as he is still with the breeder, so this is all great info, thank you.

So if I get one MVB, why do I also need a UVB (this is where I get confused). I undertand the CHE, so we are good on that score.

He will be indoors during the week and I plan to take him outside on the weekends, so he will get some sunshine, but I'm sure it is not enough, which is why I want to get the indoor lighting just right.

Thanks Again!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DanaRae60 said:
So if I get one MVB, why do I also need a UVB (this is where I get confused). I undertand the CHE, so we are good on that score.

The UVB needs will basically be covered with the MVB. I suggest adding a full spectrum florescent light so that the tortoise can see better. It's by no means a necessity, but in our experience it has made the difference between active tortoises to VERY active tortoises. Reptiles see differently than humans, so the more "good" lighting you have, the better in my opinion.

A good thread to get you started is here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Practical-Lighting-for-Tortoise-Keepers#axzz1eNJ23ZEI

Balboa hasn't been on here in awhile, but if you have any questions about reptile lighting I would try PM'ing him. He's the guy I would go to.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Neal said:
DanaRae60 said:

The UVB needs will basically be covered with the MVB. I suggest adding a full spectrum florescent light so that the tortoise can see better. It's by no means a necessity, but in our experience it has made the difference between active tortoises to VERY active tortoises. Reptiles see differently than humans, so the more "good" lighting you have, the better in my opinion.

A good thread to get you started is here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Practical-Lighting-for-Tortoise-Keepers#axzz1eNJ23ZEI

Balboa hasn't been on here in awhile, but if you have any questions about reptile lighting I would try PM'ing him. He's the guy I would go to.

THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.