star sleeping......

[email protected]

5 Year Member
hi, I have encountered this new problem for 2 month now , earlier my tortoise use to eat roam around i.e play and sleep in the afternoon and night , but now it sleeps most of the time of the day ,only comes out at its designated time and have its food mostly ones a day ,earlier it use to be atlest 2 meal a day . it only sleeps like anything .it is not new to my house environment, I also give him Luke hot water soak bath. and since it is winter in my part of India with day temp of 30* and night 21* .so do star tortoise hibernate in winter . please help me :tort::tort:

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Stars do not hibernate. Tortoises will slow down in the winter. Are your tortoises indoors or out? If indoors, what temps are in the setup? If outdoors, is there a heated house/enclosure? You say it's not new to your house environment, which leads me to believe he's inside.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Thanks christy P , you are right my tortoise lives indore and the temperature are 30* Celsius at day and around 25* at night .And one more thing which I missed out to mention is that it has developed some stretch marks on the shell ,kind of growing marks ,so is there any extra care or precautions which I should take at this stage. and my tortoise is an wild tortoise not bought from any breeder or pet store etc, it just happen to be around 9 months it is with us now , we just rescued it from the road side near my house.

star-tortoise

5 Year Member
same situation here hari....i guess nothing to worry....btw do u happen to keep him warm with uv bulb also? what kind of shelter have you built for him?