star tortoise may die (bladder stones)

Madelaine

5 Year Member
[QUOTE, ="turtlelady80, post: 981964, member: 13422"]That's very sad:( I'm sorry:( Please keep us updated...[/QUOTE]
Thanks, turtlelady80

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry to hear about your star. My Leopard recently had surgery to remove broken eggs. It was very stressful. She is large though. The patch is pretty cool and she is doing well. I wish you and your tortoise the best.

Madelaine

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your star. My Leopard recently had surgery to remove broken eggs. It was very stressful. She is large though. The patch is pretty cool and she is doing well. I wish you and your tortoise the best.
Thanks Jodie
What is the size of your leopard? Body weight?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with what Yvonne outlined.....I too would use the mineral oil and long long warm water soaks (no less than an hour each soak)....if the stone is physically able to be passed then your goal should be to lubricate the pathway the most you can....a bit of mineral oil along with warm water soaks....also, you say that the tortoise moves about alot when offered outdoor time? I would then offer some of the warm water soaks in a container outdoors---be sure that the container is large enough for the tort to walk about (motion gets things, well, moving) and partially in the sun but mostly in the shade so the tort does not overheat--also supervise the tort to assure it does not flip during the soak...then when the soak is over with I would allow the tort some run around time outside---again, motion can help ---especially if you have lubricated the way out.....

Surgery is very invasive and if the vet predicts the tort will not survive the surgery----then sounds like the best bet is to be diligent on the mineral oil and soaking until the stones move on out---it is totally possible if the stones are of size that they can physically get pushed out....if the tort is assured to not survive the surgery, then---IN MY PERSONAL BELIEF--why would you want it to be in such pain and agony without a positive outcome chance?

Just remember, to cut open the shell of a tortoise is very traumatic (there is the sedation and all of the time it takes for the tort to go under--then there is no way to be assured that the tort is going to safely come out of the sleep...then there is the physical assault of the surgery itself, then there is the huge change of infection during the healing process after all of the other stuff happens to the tort)....I am simply trying to point out all aspects of what you are considering....

Madelaine

5 Year Member
I agree with what Yvonne outlined.....I too would use the mineral oil and long long warm water soaks (no less than an hour each soak)....if the stone is physically able to be passed then your goal should be to lubricate the pathway the most you can....a bit of mineral oil along with warm water soaks....also, you say that the tortoise moves about alot when offered outdoor time? I would then offer some of the warm water soaks in a container outdoors---be sure that the container is large enough for the tort to walk about (motion gets things, well, moving) and partially in the sun but mostly in the shade so the tort does not overheat--also supervise the tort to assure it does not flip during the soak...then when the soak is over with I would allow the tort some run around time outside---again, motion can help ---especially if you have lubricated the way out.....

Surgery is very invasive and if the vet predicts the tort will not survive the surgery----then sounds like the best bet is to be diligent on the mineral oil and soaking until the stones move on out---it is totally possible if the stones are of size that they can physically get pushed out....if the tort is assured to not survive the surgery, then---IN MY PERSONAL BELIEF--why would you want it to be in such pain and agony without a positive outcome chance?

Just remember, to cut open the shell of a tortoise is very traumatic (there is the sedation and all of the time it takes for the tort to go under--then there is no way to be assured that the tort is going to safely come out of the sleep...then there is the physical assault of the surgery itself, then there is the huge change of infection during the healing process after all of the other stuff happens to the tort)....I am simply trying to point out all aspects of what you are considering....
Thanks for your advice and I agree with you that the operation is too traumatic and easy to get the infection. My little star is too small. I thinked that he cannot tolerate the operation. I consulted another vet and she said that the star have a high change for die on the table during operation.

Gem_2022

Chester
Hi,
My star see vet today. Star refused to eat about one month and force feeding is done everyday. Very scanty stool is passed. See vet for five times.
X-Ray taken before with bladder stone. Last week, star passed two tiny stones. Repeat x- ray today, bladder stones still here. Vet said that star is need to do operation for removing the stne but star is too small. The survival rate is only 40% but if the star is lucky, star can continue to survive. If no operation is done, the star will deteroirate slowly, then die.
I felt very sad, what can i do? Please help
I am in the exact position! My horsefield is 5 months 😭😭😭