Star Tortoise Poop Probs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
I have a baby star tort.
It used to poop brown and semisolid.
Since last two days,it has ben pooping black,more liquid and too stinky.
Whats the matter?
No vets here.
It weight is 33 gms.I dont know the age.
Please help me guys.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Have you changed anything you feed it in the past week? Different foods will affect the poop in different ways.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Seems to me you need to learn more about your Star. Can you post some pics of it, how have you got it housed? What do you feed it? Does he have UVB light or access outside in the sun? I can't believe you can own a pet, especially a tortoise without any vets around. I'm not being rude....but what happens if you need a vet if your Star is sick?

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
Stazz said:
Seems to me you need to learn more about your Star. Can you post some pics of it, how have you got it housed? What do you feed it? Does he have UVB light or access outside in the sun? I can't believe you can own a pet, especially a tortoise without any vets around. I'm not being rude....but what happens if you need a vet if your Star is sick?

Hi stazz,
Indian star torts are from India aren't they?And i am an Indian and i live in india.so these stars dont need much care here,since everything is just perfect for them here.and about the vets,reptile pets are prohibited in India.so i just cant go to any vet even if i want to,and moreover,there are no reptile vets here.I have a small enclosure i know which i will be changing in a few weeks when i bring another star.i allow it access to sun almost everday.its eating bottleguards,pumpkins etc which are its natural food here(atleast this is what they have been fed from years so long all over India).I have treid to fed him spinach which is beleived to be a 'stomach cleaner' for upset stomachs in turtles and torts.although its refusing to eat it as now.lets see what happens next.I will be posting some fresh pics soon in the forum.just let me know,why is the poop stinking so much?I recently fed him hibiscus which i think may have done this.i have stopped feeding hibiscus and he is now on his staple diet now.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Hi again jhaparth2006.

Well not all Indian stars are necessarily from India, like Egyptian tortoises are not all born and bred in Egypt. No matter where your tort is from, you should be giving it proper husbandry care. You can be anywhere in the world and not be giving your tortoise the proper care. Spinach is a no no in most peoples opinion, as it is high in oxylic acid and binds the calcium your tort should be getting. I really don't mean to sounds rude or offensive, but you shouldn't own a tortoise if it's prohibited. I think it's pretty shocking that if your Star is sick, you can do nothing about it because you are not allowed to own one in the first place. I'll take a bet that his poop is stinking because he isn't getting the correct diet he should be getting. What is his staple diet you give him? Let us help you look after your tortoise to the best of your ability so he won't have to get sick and that would prove fatal for the poor guy

Stazz

5 Year Member
I apologize if I come across really rude and abrupt, I'm really not trying to be either...I just think in all honesty you need to take responsibility for the tortoise life you are caring for.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Very interesting that reptile vets are not allowed. That law in its self seems to be crulity to animals!

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
Stazz said:
I apologize if I come across really rude and abrupt, I'm really not trying to be either...I just think in all honesty you need to take responsibility for the tortoise life you are caring for.

No issues dear.I just wanted to say that i have been feeding his staple food since 1 month and no problem has occured..then suddenly this?..how come?..what should i feed him then?..the names given on the internet are not known here..atleast not with the same name..i am going all nuts!..what should i do?..should i change the diet?..if yes...then what?..indian veggies please!

Stazz said:
Betts, he said that there are no reptile vets because any reptile pets are prohibited.....

thats what the problem is..i saw a little brown 'something' coming out of that place..its very dry..so i soak my tort multiple times in a day..let me tell you..he is active in all other senses..however he is sleeping more..

Attachments

• DSCN8876.jpg
    DSCN8876.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 61

Stazz

5 Year Member
Well what is this staple food you talk of, what does it consist of??

Your Stars should be eating dandelion, plantain weed,grape leaves, mulberry leaves, violets,Collard, mustard greens, turnip greens, radicchio, escarole, endive, romaine lettuce. These are just some of what your star SHOULD be eating, its a proper diet for her. You can buy a pack of Spring Mix lettuce, which is perfect for your tortoise to eat.
Do you have a UVB light and heat light? Or does your star get sunshine outside?

Is it possible for you to post pictures of this black smelly poop, and also post a carapace (top of the shell) and plastron (bottom of shell) photo so we can help you out.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
Stazz said:
Well what is this staple food you talk of, what does it consist of??

Your Stars should be eating dandelion, plantain weed,grape leaves, mulberry leaves, violets,Collard, mustard greens, turnip greens, radicchio, escarole, endive, romaine lettuce. These are just some of what your star SHOULD be eating, its a proper diet for her. You can buy a pack of Spring Mix lettuce, which is perfect for your tortoise to eat.
Do you have a UVB light and heat light? Or does your star get sunshine outside?

Is it possible for you to post pictures of this black smelly poop, and also post a carapace (top of the shell) and plastron (bottom of shell) photo so we can help you out.

today also it pooped black,but it was not smelly..he isactive in all other senses

Stazz

5 Year Member
Well I am glad to hear he is active in all other senses, but Im just trying to figure out why his poop is black, it's supposed to be a greeny brown, and quite solid. So if you can tell us what do you feed it, what is the staple food you feed, then we can figure out why he is pooping black

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Stinky poop is usually a sign of parasites but I don't know how you will get that tested or treated without a vet.

samstar

5 Year Member
Also if your having a tough time getting the food it needs, you can buy Mazuri tortoise food online. I mix the leaves with Mazuri tortoise food to make sure they get all the nutrients and twice a week I add a little calcium powder on the food as Mazuri already contains calcium.

http://shop.hawthornecountrystore.c...azuri-tortoise-diet-25lb/4,2042.html?AFF=BASE

Mazuri Tortoise Diet. A high fiber diet designed for dry land herbivorous tortoises that is nutritionally balanced to promote good health. Complete nutrition, no vitamin or mineral supplements needed. It is an excellent, palatable food item which can help get you and your tortoises through those tough winter months. Can be soaked in tepid water to soften before offering. Can also be mixed with other food items. Feed approximately 500 grams per animal per day. It is not necessary to add water. Feed consumption will vary with temperature. Feed with good quality grass hay. Fresh fruits and vegetables may also be provided if desired.

Mazuri is it! Mazuri Tortoise Diet provides Tortoises with optimum nutrition in which no vitamin supplements are necessary.
•Crude protein, min..........................15.0%
•Crude fat, min.................................3.0%
•Crude fiber, max.............................18.0%
•Calcium (Ca), min............................0.95%
•Calcium (Ca). max...........................1.45%
•Phosphorous (P), min.......................0.6%
•Sodium (Na), max............................0.6%
•Vitamin E, min.................................150 IU/lb
Instructions:
•Feed 1-4% of body weight per tortoise per day. Not necessary to wet the diet but will help acclimate the tortoise to the diet. Feed with good quality grass hay.
Tortoises enjoy!!!

I forgot to add that my stars poop is dark brown, no smell. Their nostrils are dry and eyes are clear. This is a healthy sign I am guessing. Please see the attached care sheet.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
Oh thanks for the concern sameer..
By the way my tort got well long time back...

And I strictly recommend only natural foods.

Anyways,i will try Mazuri if i get a chance..

Status
Not open for further replies.