Star Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetanjain86

5 Year Member
Hi Frds
I have 2 Star Tortoise one is 7 inch and other is 6 inch i keep them in water everyday for 25-40 min there do all waste material in that should i keep it everyday........... plz rpl

Attachments

• Image0332(2).jpg
    Image0332(2).jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Image0333(2).jpg
    Image0333(2).jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 117

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
chetanjain86 said:
Hi Frds
I have 2 Star Tortoise one is 7 inch and other is 6 inch i keep them in water everyday for 25-40 min there do all waste material in that should i keep it everyday........... plz rpl

That is way too much water, they have to be able to stand in the container on their own, not swim!! At least that is the way they are looking from that pic. If they have access to water everyday where they can go in and out themselves then you don't need to soak them everyday for that long. Once a week would be sufficient.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Holy crap! I'm surprised to see them "Afloat". I think the hind legs are keeping them up. Too much water! They can't swim.
Do not fill the water till it exceeds the top of their head. Fill the tub with a little water, just enough that it touches the lower jaw of the tortoise when it sits.

If they have water to drink everyday, you do not have to soak everyday. People here soak adult tortoises once or twice a week. 15-30 mins is enough.

chetanjain86

5 Year Member
thanxxx for rpl so can i make them for 5 min everyday very low till there jam

chetanjain86

5 Year Member
my big one is 7 inch (18 cms) n other one is 6 inch (15 cms) so how much water i should put in tub so there can do waste material in that...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi chetanjain86:

(May we know your name and where you are?)

Welcome to the forum!!

If you add water until it reaches to the middle of the tortoise's side that would be enough. Where the top shell comes down and meets with the bottom shell. That's plenty of water.

I think I'm understanding that you want the tortoises to poop in the water so that your habitat stays clean?? That's really not the reason for putting tortoises in water. What you want them to do there is drink, not poop. I think the reason your tortoises poop is because you have too much water and it is stressful to them to try to stay afloat and breathe. It causes them to poop.

Your tortoises are beautiful.

chetanjain86

5 Year Member
thanxx for ur so information i want that my habitat stay clear so put them in water it ok now i will put them in just 1-1.5 cm water, but if water go from there nose and mouth to the stomach do that harm to star tortoise

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, but if the water goes from their nose or mouth to their lungs, that will make them sick. They will get a respiratory infection or pneumonia if they get fluid in their lungs.

samstar

5 Year Member
I soak mine once a week for 10 minutes. They also have a shallow water dish in their enclosure and if they feel thirsty, they will go and drink from it. In the wild, they would be lucky to get access to water even once a week during summer months.

chetanjain86

5 Year Member
I keep them in home i have just made a grass when i keep them i cannot let them doing poo and peepee at my home or my mom will kill me........

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Did you know you had a tortoise, and not a turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi chetanjain86:

How may I call you?

Your original question was, "What should I keep it in every day?" and we all got side tracked on the water issue.

If the tortoises can't be kept outside, then you need to find a very large plastic tub or a big, big wooden box or crate of some kind. They need quite a bit of room to be able to walk around and get exercise.

I understand that you keep the tortoises in the house and you're afraid your mom would be mad if they poop and pee on the floor. So if you find a very large container of some sort to keep them in, or even better, build them a pen outside, that would solve your problem!

I don't have star tortoises, but here's the kind of container I'm talking about. This one has a few sick box turtles in it:

orchidbark-2.jpg

I just have garden soil for the floor cover for them to dig into, with a little bit of mulch over the top of it.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
YOU ARE SCARING.. SCARING.. DID I SAY SCARING THE POOP OUT OF THOSE TORTOISES!!!

Is that subtle enough?

Who ever came up with the idea that a STAR.. or ANY other tortoise.. should be "FORCE" soaked?.. anyway???

When a tortoise has the "proper" set-up they should NOT have to be soaked.. EVER! I don't care what species you have. And please don't all you "FORCE-SOAK" peeps come on here and encourage chetanjain86 to continue to soak their star tortoise. [ don't ask experienced star keepers/breeders what water source they provide theirs with.. you may be shocked. ]

I'll just leave it at that...

TEK

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Speaking of which, what water sources do experienced keepers provide ther torts Anw Terry? Just a big water dish?

Gus

5 Year Member
Omg I really can't believe what I have saw in the picture! It seen like their under go Navy Seal Training!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Well i have ababy and everyone told me to soak it everyday-even the experienced keeper it came from,so thats wut i do,but i skip a day here and there as i see fit,He likes it and when i make it warm for him he eat immediatly afterwards everytime,ACTUALLY I THINK HE LOOKS FORWARD TO HIS WARM SOAKS.

also my tort poops everytime hes in the water too but its not bcuz hes scared.

samstar

5 Year Member
Soaking once or twice a week is more than enough, leave a shallow water dish in it's enclosure and if it is thirsty, it will go drink. They are smarter than we think they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.