Star tortoises: indoors or outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Hi, and thanks for taking time to read my thread.

As soon as possible, I'm wanting to acquire a pair of indian/sri lankan star tortoises and try my hand at breeding. I'm wondering what kind of housing needs to be provided, (humidity and substrates). In south florida, the humidity ranges from 85% to about 60%, usually around 65-70%. Is this to high for star tortoises? Some care sheets say that they can take high humidity, as long as the temperature is high (which, besides our two-week winter, we have no trouble with here in florida). Would this mean that they can be housed outdoors?
If they need to be housed indoors, what is the best substrate? This once again goes back to humidity. I've seen some breeders use hay, but I was under the impression they were supposed to have certain micro-climates, (humid hides and cool, dry areas) which would be impossible to do with hay. How about coconut bark chips? Mulch?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not host this species of tort....but I felt compelled to share that hay is not a good substrate ---your coco coir or peat moss is a much better choice and will make achieving micro climates a doable thing....

Wait around for the members that host this species as they will have their first had experience to share with you....

Oh, we LOVE PICS :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Outside is best for them. Especially on florida. When wonter hits definitely bring them in. dont use hay. I use cypress mulch and coco coir.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think they would be fine being kept outdoors year round in Florida. There are a few breeders of Indian Stars down in Florida. You may have to search around for them, but I would contact one of them and ask them about how they handle the high humidity.

Cypress, peat moss, and coco coir are what we use indoors and it works well.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Thanks for your quick replys. It would definitely be easier to maintain them outside, but I just thought they were supposed to have low humidity.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Typically not. They have seasonal pressure and humidity spikes of low and highs throughout the year over there. Most of the mainland stars are the southern variety which are use to relatively high to medium humidity most parts of the year. Then the monsoon season hits and it spikes the humidity. The Sri Lankens are use to very high humidity both northern and southern varieties being a coastal breeze nation, But the northern variety are not here in the US in vast numbers and have difficulty being bred and kept alive. (blah blah blah) Florida is in a nutshell a perfect place for them because of the rainy season it gets down there, stimulates the monsoon (natural breeding and egg laying season for stars whether it be any of the 4 varieties found in India or Sri Lanka)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Sorry that was kind of confusing...Are you saying indian stars are easier to maintain in higher humidity, or sri lankans? Which variety would be best for me to get down here?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah sorry I can ramble sometimes. I was saying that theyre are 2 types of Indian stars and 2 types of sri lankens. Both varieties have a northern sub species and a southern sub species. Sri Lanken tend to have more of a humid environment, But so do the southern variety of Indian stars. I would say either would be just perfect in florida conditions. Just keep a nice dry spot for them in the enclosure when keeping outdoors.

Either variety is just perfect, same level of care really. After all they are classified as the same species(now im probably really getting confusing) Sorry. Either way sri lanken or Indian will do just fine in floridas Humid conditions.

Hope that clears it up.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SriLankans do great down here in South Florida. That has sadly not been my expierence with Indians. I would be more than happy to talk to you about this as a breeder of these animals for the last 13 years. Douglas beard / Flora & Fauna 786-320-4730 cell

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
And theyre we have it. The doug beard has spoken. Wonder why the mainlands havent given any success to you down yonder.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tortadise said:
And theyre we have it. The doug beard has spoken. Wonder why the mainlands havent given any success to you down yonder.

That's a good question...I can tell you they do VERY well here in AZ. As far as humidity goes, it's about as polar opposite from Florida as you can get.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Neal said:
tortadise said:

That's a good question...I can tell you they do VERY well here in AZ. As far as humidity goes, it's about as polar opposite from Florida as you can get.

Yeah mine do awesome here in dallas. But were not as dry as arizona. Definitely not as humid as florida though.

Status
Not open for further replies.