Stars first checkup, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I finally found a vet that loves Tortoises and will taking my Stars to him this weekend for their first checkup. Now I dont know what to expect or take so please help me here:

Do I take their poop and if I take 1 day old poop is it ok?
Is the vet going to give them any injection?

I cant imagine my baby Stars getting an injection.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY YOU WOULD TAKE A HATCHLING TO A VET ANYWAY!!!

IMHO.. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO TREAT A HATCHLING!!! AND IF HE WANTS TO GIVE THEM AN INJECTION OF ANY KIND......... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN OUT OF THERE AND REPORT THEM TO THE "SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS" IMMEDIATELY!!! GET THE PICTURE?????

A VITAMIN A INJECTION WILL KILL YOUR STARS BEFORE YOU GET THEM HOME.

FWIW...

NERD

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY YOU WOULD TAKE A HATCHLING TO A VET ANYWAY!!!

IMHO.. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO TREAT A HATCHLING!!! AND IF HE WANTS TO GIVE THEM AN INJECTION OF ANY KIND......... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN OUT OF THERE AND REPORT THEM TO THE "SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS" IMMEDIATELY!!! GET THE PICTURE?????

A VITAMIN A INJECTION WILL KILL YOUR STARS BEFORE YOU GET THEM HOME.

FWIW...

NERD

Thanks for your reply. I am not confirmed taking them to the vet which is why I posted here, I was just under the impression that a routine checkup is a must. I dont know if they get injections or not which is why I am asking. Thanks for your feedback, I will wait till they grow to adults. I to want the best for them.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think it is great you are doing this. It is important for any tort, regardless or background, to have regular fecal tests. It is best to have a sample within 24 hours of testing. You can refrigerate it (I use a double Ziploc). They should just do a look-over, take some records/notes, do the fecal float, and give you any suggestions. There should not be any injections unless it is to treat something specific. You can always say you want to think about it, and bring them back another time after you have consulted the forum or whatever. It is important to establish your tort as a patient at a vet as they are much more willing to fit you into the schedule in case of an emergency. I think it is more important for hatchlings vs. adults to see a vet as at their fragile age parasites and illnesses can be more life-threatening. Their shell is still growing and they need more monitoring, especially with a new tort owner. Also, an experienced tort vet can pick up on husbandry that you may be missing. This happened to me! I think of our vet as a valuable resource and a great investment in my tort's happy and healthy life. No, a routine check up is not a must, but it is my honest opinion that as a responsible tort owner this is what you should do. By the time my tort is an adult I actually don't plan to take him in yearly. I hope you will consider the advise of multiple posters (not just me and not just Terry) before making your own educated decision about what is right for you and your torts. Do do your research and see that this is a reputable tort vet. Interview them about their practices and costs so you know what to expect. Best wishes.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I think it is great you are doing this. It is important for any tort, regardless or background, to have regular fecal tests. It is best to have a sample within 24 hours of testing. You can refrigerate it (I use a double Ziploc). They should just do a look-over, take some records/notes, do the fecal float, and give you any suggestions. There should not be any injections unless it is to treat something specific. You can always say you want to think about it, and bring them back another time after you have consulted the forum or whatever. It is important to establish your tort as a patient at a vet as they are much more willing to fit you into the schedule in case of an emergency. I think it is more important for hatchlings vs. adults to see a vet as at their fragile age parasites and illnesses can be more life-threatening. Their shell is still growing and they need more monitoring, especially with a new tort owner. Also, an experienced tort vet can pick up on husbandry that you may be missing. This happened to me! I think of our vet as a valuable resource and a great investment in my tort's happy and healthy life. No, a routine check up is not a must, but it is my honest opinion that as a responsible tort owner this is what you should do. By the time my tort is an adult I actually don't plan to take him in yearly. I hope you will consider the advise of multiple posters (not just me and not just Terry) before making your own educated decision about what is right for you and your torts. Do do your research and see that this is a reputable tort vet. Interview them about their practices and costs so you know what to expect. Best wishes.

Thanks, I will just do the fecel test for now to make sure everything is in check. I'm glad you replied.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have to do a fecal test with Hermy but the only time I can go is on saturday morning and I think he know because he never does his number 2 on saturday morning. I did not know we could keep the sample 24 hours. Thanks for the info Kate, I will do that.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
My tort [russian] normally poops every morning, so I made my vet appt at 3PM and he actually ended up pooping while we were waiting for the doctor. She ended up taking both samples and just putting them together. I think the drive made him nervous :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can keep it even longer if necessary, it is just better the freshest it is. Worst case they will say to get a fresher sample I believe. The last one I brought in was more like 48 hours. Trevor always provides a fresh sample too. :)

Sam-Sounds great. I think that is the best $15-20 you can spend on a tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.