Start of Tort Wading Pool Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have been wanting to construct a wading pool for my sulcatas instead of having to soak them in a baby pool, so here is the start of construction!

1st we dug a hole with slanted sides the approx. size we wanted.

DSC08924.jpg

2nd My husband mixed the concrete and started with a good heavy base.

DSC08927.jpg

3rd He carried the cement up the sides. Easy slant so they can get in and out without a problem.

DSC08928.jpg

Now I have to wait a day or 2 to fill it. I can't wait to see it in use. I will post pics of the final project with the torts enjoying.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Looks really good. A hint for winter seeing you are in New Jersey, put a log or some type wood in pool. This absorbs the ice pressure instead of the concrete. Also how does it drain ?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for the tip with the log Larry. It won't have a drain. It is not that deep and I will be able to spray it out and scrub with a brush to clean it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's awesome! Congrats on undertaking such a project. I bet the torts will love it. Looking forward to seeing the torts enjoy the new addition.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I have for my box turtles. Just an indentation in the dirt and covered with redi-mix. Every morning I just scoop the water out with my hands and re-fill them. The redi-mix is full of rocks, and when it dries the sides are rough from the rocks and easy for the turtles to climb out.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a great idea Dee...I am going to copy it for my enclosure. I have to take the dish out for the winter because it will crack, and that looks so easy. I will have to look for that redi-mix Yvonne.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
It was really simple. I can't wait for them to go in! Took only about an hour.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Great Job Dee and Dee's hubby. I am sure the Sullys will love it as will you. Terry I think you can find Redi-mix just about anyplace, I know Home Depot and Lowes carries it.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks cool, take pictures when its fully done, Should be even better. Also will give people some good ideas.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that is exactly what i did for my sulcatas. i dont see them use it much, bt there is poop in it from time to time. easy to hose out. However, mine leaks. :-( i have to have a hose constantly dripping into it. i need to seal it, but not sure what to use and havent really looked.. let me know if you have the same prob and what you use.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would seal it with a good silicone, like silicone II made by GE. Its available from HD or Lowes!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That or aquarium sealant could work. Anything safe for human/animal consumption out of.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Might have been a good idea to lay down some wire mesh before pouring the cement.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I did copy your idea Dee, only my son put down some pond liner first and then put the cement over that. You are right, the sloped sides make it so easy for them to get in and out. Thank you.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
You guys are the coolest!! Giving us all those ideas. Terry, my husbad has been getting hounded because I have always wanted a pond. Yeah and that means more pets because you can't have a pond with no fish. Then it's running something to keep it from freezing or bringing them inside for winter. I showed him your pen pics and we are doing some plans to make a pen something like what you have. He probably figures if I get that I won't be bugging for the pond after all, and you know what he's right! I would love to incorperate all those plants with some running water. All these years of torts and I guess I just had a brain fart never putting in hosta etc. Grassland mix and weeds is all they have ever had! Thank you for a great kick start!
And Dee you get the gold star for remembering to do pics as work in progress. (And I guess hubby gets the gold star for doing it! Well probably most of it, if it's like my house.)!
Thanks Na

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad you were able to use this simple idea. Terry, I just wish I could have my pen looking like yours but the sulcatas would have that torn down in hot second. Na, I like step by step instructions I am a visual learner! LOL! And my husband, John, does deserve a gold star for his hard work and putting up with all of my requests! As for the sullys using the pond, they have not really gone in it but do stand at the edge and drink from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.