Starting a mulberry tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay my volunteer mulberry trees always sprout where I don't want them.... like in a fence line or next to a building. So thinking about trying to start some from the fruit, since it's falling now. Question is have any of you done it? What's the best way? Do I bury the fresh fruit? Let the fruit dry then bury? Or does it just need to be left on the surface?

I should say, I am a black thumb with plants, especially seeds and cuttings, so I need all the help I can get. :cool: :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Jacqui, I never see the fruit on the trees but I have them growing in different places around the yard, what I would do is plant some in different ways, some buried, some on top, some dried, some fresh,etc. I'm not even sure if the trees I get are from this years seeds, last years seeds or even the year before seeds.but I have several new ones every year. I let them get to a certain size then transplant them into a pot. Len

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
We have a lot of mulberry trees in our area. I really never see seedlings starting under the mature trees were the ground is covered with mulberrys.
I am thinking that most of our trees mainly along our creek and fence lines are there because of the birds eating the fruit and depositing the seeds when they go thru there system.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
fruit goes in, seeds come out
Is it a berry?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
oscar said:
We have a lot of mulberry trees in our area. I really never see seedlings starting under the mature trees were the ground is covered with mulberrys.
I am thinking that most of our trees mainly along our creek and fence lines are there because of the birds eating the fruit and depositing the seeds when they go thru there system.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.