Starting Panacur Yikes~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
So, one of my russian tortoises has worms.

She is losing weight, eating like a horse and is lethargic. The vet is giving me panacur to start tomorrow.

I have 3 questions:

Number one, how easy is it to give a tortoise panacur and how do you do it?

Number two, should I change out bedding now or wait until treatment has been completed? Vet has constructed me to change out bedding as soon as possible but didn't say when..

Number 3, which has nothing to do with health so I apologize but didn't want to start a new thread. I usually use cypress mulch. Can I use just "Organic Mulch". It doesn't say CYPRESS on it.

Thanks for all your advice in advance. :D

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
By law, the medicine must have a label giving directions. FOLLOW THEM!
If there is no label, call the clinic and have them make you a label with the proper instructions.

"As soon as possible" = when you get home

Doc

Vishnu2 said:
So, one of my russian tortoises has worms.

She is losing weight, eating like a horse and is lethargic. The vet is giving me panacur to start tomorrow.

I have 3 questions:

Number two, should I change out bedding now or wait until treatment has been completed? Vet has constructed me to change out bedding as soon as possible but didn't say when..

Number 3, which has nothing to do with health so I apologize but didn't want to start a new thread. I usually use cypress mulch. Can I use just "Organic Mulch". It doesn't say CYPRESS on it.

Thanks for all your advice in advance. :D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
1. My vet had me give the panacur sprinkled on food. If your tort is eating like a horse, it will be very easy to get the panacur into him.
3. If it doesn't say "cypress" don't use it. Mulch that contains cedar would be very irritating to a tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
exoticsdr said:
By law, the medicine must have a label giving directions.
It is possible that vishnu2 is not in the USA and the drug laws are different.

Vishnu2 said:
Put it on food - hide it among stuff he/she likes!

Vishnu2 said:
Change it now and at the end of treatment. Keep stuff clean.

Vishnu2 said:
Organic doesn't always make it good. You don't know the contents so it could be anything. Garden soil makes a perfectly good substrate, you don't have to go to expense.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Agree what the others have said. I had to give it to my Yellowfoot. She eats like a horse, just put it on the food. Mix it up good and I guarantee she will eat some of it. You normally would have problems if she were not eating...

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
panacur in powder form. Tried giving it to her but the powder instantly fell off her food down to the bottom of her bowl. So, I ended up wetting it to a paste and sticking it to her favorite greens. She ended up eating it right up. I did end up changing her bedding as suggested. However, I didn't use mulch at all. Wonder how long till she will be worm free? Anyone know? Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I appreciate all of you.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
havent used dewormer in reptiles in a long time, but in dogs, its once a day for three straight days (of the powder), and then usuallly a recheck fecal in 1-2 weeks.

powder form is generally the best, as it has little to no flavor. liquid is pretty nasty and chalky. what are the instructions for the panacur ?? how often, for how many days, when do they want a recheck, etc ??

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I am in the process of de-worming my 2 russians. I gave them four days of panacur, it was liquid in a syringe you stick in their mouth down their throat a little. I had to wrap lettuce on the nozzle of the medicine, wait untill they bit down on it, and then put the syringe down their throat a little and push the plunger to release the medicine. I then waited two weeks, still noticing a few worms, and put them through four more days of panacur. I have waited two weeks and have not seen any signs of worms, but am doing one more round of panacur to make sure. This was the instructions a reptile vet gave me.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Vet instructions were panacur for one day retreat in 2 weeks. So, we shall see what happens. She seems to feel better already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.