Starting to build my new tort table this weekend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
So for an AWSOME xmas gift my sons teacher offered to help me build Sonnes new tort table. not sure how this is gona go.. she has no clue about torts lmao... but she is bringin all the lumber and tools .. i just hope it goes smooth LOL..... its going from 4ftx2.5ft to 4x5 so i hope that will hold him for a while cause thats about all the space i can go in my room maybe a 4x6 but im not buying the supplys sand we already have the bottom and its 4x5.... so im going to make due.. all the lumber im we are getting for free as scraps ... ant tips on how to make this go a lil easier? lol friday will be VERY interesting!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to get along with her! :p

Be sure to take pictures as you go along and share with us.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Thanks we click pretty good so it "should" be ok (i volunteer at my kids school several times a week they kinda know me) im just worried she may insist on doing a certain way ... that may not really work for me . but i am hoping i have her a good enuf example and she picks up the right lumber :rolleyes: lol but i will have to manage with what she brings. wish me luck;) i do plan on taking pics!! hoping through all the stages :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hopefully you can tell her that you decided on your 'plan' after talking to experienced tort keepers, etc, etc.
Make sure the sides are high enough (at least 12", 16" is better), so you can accommodate various levels of substrate.
Think about how you want to line the bottom so it is waterproof: Glidden Floor paint, polyurethane, piece of pond or shower pan liner folded up the sides and stapled.
Make it as big as you possibly can, 4' X 5' is fine, don't skimp if possible.
Good luck!
(and make sure you have chocolate to bribe her with...)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
lynnedit said:
Hopefully you can tell her that you decided on your 'plan' after talking to experienced tort keepers, etc, etc.
Make sure the sides are high enough (at least 12", 16" is better), so you can accommodate various levels of substrate.
Think about how you want to line the bottom so it is waterproof: Glidden Floor paint, polyurethane, piece of pond or shower pan liner folded up the sides and stapled.
Make it as big as you possibly can, 4' X 5' is fine, don't skimp if possible.
Good luck!
(and make sure you have chocolate to bribe her with...)

BAHAHAHAAA!!! i was going to make cookies!! lol as a treat for her help as i am not paying for anything! and i have 8mm plastic i had planned to line it with.. the one i have now is the same one that came with my tort and was not sealed well :(.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What a deal! I'll look into this next time I upgrade.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
so today didnt go exactly as i had thought... she just came with a few more supplys and is going to come back monday to build it.... blah!! im so excited i cant wait! lol

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
lynnedit said:
OMG, she is torturing you! More chocolate or cookies!

LOL it is torture!!! i keep thinkin its gna be done and i can set it all up for him a yada yada lmao i cant wait to see it done! not justa pile of lumber :rolleyes:

i made almond bark pretels :D yumm hope she likes em to

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
this is taking sooo LONG to get done!! :rolleyes: so she came today again with a few more things... we have the main box part done i wanted to put in a mini second level so he could have another hide ,still need to make this ,still need to staple the plastic on... so ALMOST done i will post pix of the box so far.. lol its just a box;)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Kvoigt said:
this is taking sooo LONG to get done!! :rolleyes: so she came today again with a few more things... we have the main box part done i wanted to put in a mini second level so he could have another hide ,still need to make this ,still need to staple the plastic on... so ALMOST done i will post pix of the box so far.. lol its just a box;)

and check out that face! i cant wait to give him a new bigger home!!! :D:tort::tort: and my lil boy playin in the box lol :)

Attachments

• 121911153202.jpg
    121911153202.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 121911134925.jpg
    121911134925.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 35

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
please dont take offence to this as i dont mean it to be offencive in anyway this is merly my opinion, i dont think your should make a tortoise table for your leo because as u know the can grow quite big and quite fast, i feel as if a leo would out grow a tortoise table really fast and i wouldnt want your to waste your money on something that may not last long.

best of luck with your tank :)

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
dav3 said:
please dont take offence to this as i dont mean it to be offencive in anyway this is merly my opinion, i dont think your should make a tortoise table for your leo because as u know the can grow quite big and quite fast, i feel as if a leo would out grow a tortoise table really fast and i wouldnt want your to waste your money on something that may not last long.

best of luck with your tank :)

no offence taken .. i live in an apartment this is what i can do for him right now and it will be big enuf for him for a while i dont plan on living in the apartment forever;) he will get his big huge home he deserves as soon as i do:D but untill then this is good. better than what he came to me in ;) and im not spending any real $$ most pieces were scrap and the rest my friend paid for as xmas gift.... so thanks for your input!!!;):tort::p

Status
Not open for further replies.