Stay underground? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
Why does my Female RT keep staying underground in the enclosure?(hot side) Temperature are usually around 90 and she doesn't come out unless other tortoise go around her and wake her up.
She's eating well and active.
I want to know if she is going to have baby..
she's about 5.8" almost 6 inch long and 4.5 inch wide.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Why didn't you quarantine this new tortoise??

Being lethargic (IE sleeping all day under the substrate) could very well be a symptom of an illness! She could have internal parasites or some other virus. And now, because your other tortoises have come in contact with her, they could get it as well.

Has she been eating? Are her nares (nostrils) clear? Eyes cloudy or clear? Can you hear her wheeze or rasp when she breathes in or out?

This is one of the prime examples of why you NEED at least a 30 day quarantine. With a pet store tortoise, you should have done so for 3-6 months before she even saw your existing animals. I don't even touch new tortoises and then my existing animals without washing or sanitizing---

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
If you're keeping one female with two males, she could be hiding from them because they are bullying her. Just one Russian male is often too much for one female, because they are very aggressive and can inflict a lot of damage. After I separated my Russians, my female was a lot more active and her appetite doubled. I think it was a direct result of not being afraid to be out in the open anymore.

How big is your enclosure?

Kayti said:
If you're keeping one female with two males, she could be hiding from them because they are bullying her. Just one Russian male is often too much for one female, because they are very aggressive and can inflict a lot of damage. After I separated my Russians, my female was a lot more active and her appetite doubled. I think it was a direct result of not being afraid to be out in the open anymore.

How big is your enclosure?

Well, I can't edit my post but I just went a read your other thread- if this is a new tortoise, hiding is normal, and you should never mix a new tortoise with your other animals. :(

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX
the two male are not in the same enclosure. I was cleaning one enclosure so I put one of the male in her enclosure.(that male is really young so he didn't do anything to her)
She is eating very well. She likes to burrow and stay in the hole. she's also changing the landscape too..

Status
Not open for further replies.