Stella update, pyramiding questions

wendigo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Stella is my 2 yr old Burmese star, who was temp incubated for female. I've noticed in the past 6 months or so she's pyramiding a little and I haven't changed anything with her diet or enclosure. She's in a closed chamber with minimum 80% humidity. She get greens, weeds, hibiscus daily and Mazuri twice a week. Is there anything else I need to change to ensure smooth growth? She's got a 65w flood light and a UV bulb (measured around 2 ferguson zone). I also noticed about 6 months ago she became much less shy and much more active. She's often waiting on her slate for breakfast and has started climbing a lot, which she never did before. Is it possible that she's a male? I'm getting the feeling she might be. She's been growing slowly but steadily, she was 140g at a year, 326g at 2 yrs and is 370g now. Anything I should be looking at husbandry wise? I did stop the daily/several times a week soaking when she hit 2 years old - should I start that up again?

IMG_3098.JPGIMG_3097.JPGIMG_3096.JPGIMG_3095.JPGIMG_3094.JPGIMG_3099.JPGIMG_3100.JPG

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
My theory is that as he/she is getting older it’s getting bolder and not hiding as much. Therefore basking more and exposed to drier conditions. That can explain the sudden pyramiding that you are describing. Although I think it looks good, it’s not perfectly smooth growth but rarely are any captive bred animals perfectly smooth through adulthood.

As far as the sex goes, I’d say it is a male but still to early to be certain.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beautiful tortoise. Mine definitely started to get more outgoing and bold at 2 y/o. Your tortoise looks female at this point, but not certain. My male started flashing around 450 grams, so you'll probably know soon enough. I've had a tough time controlling pyramiding as well, but some do pyramid more than others. I wonder if I provided too much UV when he was very young and still in his indoor enclosure full time. Babies don't need much UV at all and if any breeders have any comments on this, I'd appreciate it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Who told you Stella was temp sexed for female? We don't know those temps for this species.

I can't tell the sex yet, but the pyramiding is minimal. None of mine are perfect either.

wendigo

Florida
Who told you Stella was temp sexed for female? We don't know those temps for this species.

I can't tell the sex yet, but the pyramiding is minimal. None of mine are perfect either.
I got her from Rodriguez Chelonians. I know theres no guarantee on sex. I'm glad to hear she shouldn't be perfectly smooth, I was starting to worry that I wasn't doing something right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got her from Rodriguez Chelonians. I know theres no guarantee on sex. I'm glad to hear she shouldn't be perfectly smooth, I was starting to worry that I wasn't doing something right.
You got her from one of the good ones. Good choice.