Still concerned about MBD

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
My previous post explains a little bit more about what's going on...

Anyways, I talked to one of the owners of the petstore yesterday (where I bought him). They said my tort was probably not receiving enough UV light...that the light I bought him was too weak...I'd been using that bulb for several months now (6? 7?). Other guy told me that once you can see the damage EXTERNALLY, then the internal damage must be pretty severe.

I noticed today that my Russian wasn't eating as quickly as he usually does; once I hand him food he goes crazy. Also, when he stood up to get to the bowl (it's a little too tall for him, he kinda has to reach for it with his hind legs), he almost seemed shaky? Like he couldn't support himself?

I have some more pictures of him, his hind-legs, and whatnot just so I can clarify his situation..

:tort::tort::tort: Question about MBD: can you reverse it? Cure it? I'm just so worried that I've been causing him all this pain for so many months...I'd rather not have him be hurt for the rest of his life. He's still quite young so maybe he can heal his bones that are being weakened? Please reply on this last question, it's very VERY important!

Another note: I got him a strong-acting calcium supplement AND bought him a strong UV bulb.

Attachments

• 2013-11-26 14.41.09.jpg
    2013-11-26 14.41.09.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 2013-11-26 14.41.07.jpg
    2013-11-26 14.41.07.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • 2013-11-26 14.40.22.jpg
    2013-11-26 14.40.22.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • 2013-11-26 14.40.30.jpg
    2013-11-26 14.40.30.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First may I suggest, you not listen to the pet store. Most don't have a clue what they are talking about. Can you get your tort outside? If so, do it daily for at least an hour. I don't really see where your tort has MBD, but I may not be seeing it in the pics. What type of UVB are you using? Pictures of your enclosure, and a list of his diet items would help us better. Also, put is food on a flat surface. He may not be liking having to reach so high up into a feeding dish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are in FL. It is warm most of the year. How much time does he spend outside?

MBD can be reversed and "cured". They simply need a good diet, a little calcium supplementation a couple of times a week, and some UV, preferably from the sun, but indoor UV can work too.

Many russians slow down this time of year. Due to the cooler temps and shorter days, their brains tell them its time to hibernate. This can be counteracted if you don't want them to hibernate by making it warmer, brighter and keeping the lights on for 13-14 hours a day.