...Still eating very little...

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nacogdoches, TX
I have a sullie that's about 2 years old. He ate like a machine all through the winter. We left for about a week in early March. The house got down to the low 60's or high 50's while we were gone. (Thermostat did not kick on for some reason.) Slash had his heat lamp the entire time though.

When we got back, he wouldn't eat. It's been a couple of weeks. He's back to his daily routine of 30 min' warmish-hot water soaks. He's eating & pooping some now, but neither to the degree that he was before we took our trip.

So, should I be concerned? I mean, if it's just a matter of it takes several weeks for a tort to get back to his old self, that's fine. ...But I don't want to sit here doing nothing if he's got an intestinal blockage or something.

Thanks for the advice guys!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Maybe he got a resp infection from the cooler temps? A trip to the vet might be a good precausion.
Mine will always eat mazuri even when refusing all other foods....

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I would be concerned if it were my tortoise. Are there any signs of a runny nose or breathing difficulty? If so, then perhaps a vet visit is needed. Otherwise I would keep him at 80F or warmer until he shows more interest in eating.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So the tort has been under light for a week solid while you were gone? This is likely the trigger---the tort has not actually slept well for that entire time....if the tort does not have labored breathing, nor any mucus from the nose and the tort IS eating some...I would be sure to turn on and off the lights on a tight schedule to help the tort get back in the correct swing...

The light you refer to being on and not going off---was it a heat lamp as well? I mean, did you have warmth from the lamp but no darkness so the tort can sleep???? or is the light simply light and no additional heat? Do you keep the enclosure wet/high humidity?

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX
ascott said:
So the tort has been under light for a week solid while you were gone? This is likely the trigger---the tort has not actually slept well for that entire time....if the tort does not have labored breathing, nor any mucus from the nose and the tort IS eating some...I would be sure to turn on and off the lights on a tight schedule to help the tort get back in the correct swing...

The light you refer to being on and not going off---was it a heat lamp as well? I mean, did you have warmth from the lamp but no darkness so the tort can sleep???? or is the light simply light and no additional heat? Do you keep the enclosure wet/high humidity?

No mucus, & no labored breathing (That I can tell.)
The lamp is a Zoo Med Powersun UVA/UVB. Humidity's been around 50-60%

The table is 4 foot square, with the lamp in one corner. I've always kept the lamp on, since it's his heat source, but I have a hide (facing away from the lamp, so he can get in the dark).

His set up didn't change while we were gone. (& I left plenty of food) The only change in routine, was that the thermostat didn't kick in (& so the house got colder than normal ...but his heat lamp was on the whole time) & that he didn't get his daily soaks.

If a vet trip is warranted, then I will of course take him. I'd like to avoid that if possible though, since it would mean taking a day off from work, which I really can't afford to do right now.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
What is the temperature under that powersun lamp? They are known to lose some of their effectivness (both heat and UVB output) in a few short months. I went through 3 of those in just a months time because they were not producing enough heat. Does your tortoise get any outdoor time? I am thinking he is cold, and has been cold for a while. A couple of good basking sessions in some warm sunshine could perk him up. Again, I would be sure that he was in 80F temperature day and night, plus has a basking spot of about 95F, and provide a dark (no light at all) spot for him to sleep every night. You may need to by additional heating for the night time heat because you need to turn off that powersun for 12 hours a day. 24 hours of daylight is not natural and is probably stressing him.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have a che for night heat. Got It on amazon and love it. My light is on a timer and che on all the time. My heat stays where I need it by spreading these two out over my enclosure.

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX
Dizisdalife said:
What is the temperature under that powersun lamp? They are known to lose some of their effectivness (both heat and UVB output) in a few short months. I went through 3 of those in just a months time because they were not producing enough heat. Does your tortoise get any outdoor time? I am thinking he is cold, and has been cold for a while. A couple of good basking sessions in some warm sunshine could perk him up. Again, I would be sure that he was in 80F temperature day and night, plus has a basking spot of about 95F, and provide a dark (no light at all) spot for him to sleep every night. You may need to by additional heating for the night time heat because you need to turn off that powersun for 12 hours a day. 24 hours of daylight is not natural and is probably stressing him.

Re: the lamps. I did not know that. I'll have to check the temp of the light.

Normally Slash goes outside when I head to work, & comes in when I get home. I'm in East Texas. It's normally HOT most of the time. I only keep him inside during winter, & even then there's usually several 70+ days I can take him outside. This year's been the exception. It's still 60 degrees out, so I haven't been taking him out.

I'll run by the store this evening & pick up one of those red night time heat lamps.

Thanks for the advice!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
turtlewurx said:
I'll run by the store this evening & pick up one of those red night time heat lamps.

Please don't!!! If anything get a ceramic heat emitter often referred to as a CHE. The give off heat only and no light. The red "heat" bulbs are not as efficient and the sometimes confuse the tortoises vision.

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX
Dizisdalife said:
turtlewurx said:

Please don't!!! If anything get a ceramic heat emitter often referred to as a CHE. The give off heat only and no light. The red "heat" bulbs are not as efficient and the sometimes confuse the tortoises vision.

Noted. Where would I look for something like that? Our local pet shop's on the smallish side & the closest thing that have is a heat rock for reptiles.