Stink Pot in 55 Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
We'd kind of like to get another turtle to go with Holly, our red eared slider. It was recommended to me that I get another slider, but I most definitely do not want to do that. Holly is big...8.5" and almost 2lbs. I really don't think cramming another turtle that has the potential of growing that big as well is a good idea.

My hubby and I have been browsing turtles for days now and I've fallen in love with the idea of a little stink pot. :D From what I've read they can be very good "community" turtles and will get along well with an adult RES. It will also be a turtle that stays small and a non-basking turtle, so I think they could both share the aquarium without threatening each others space.

Here's my question...is a 55 gallon entirely too large for a juvenile stink pot? I've read that adults do just fine, but I'm worried about a smaller guy. He'll be a 10 gallon when we first get him, how big does he need to be before moving into the 55? I have some artificial plants and driftwood for climbing as well as a large basking area (above the tank...covers half of it). I also have this goofy shelf thing in the bottom that Holly likes to sleep in that can be used for climbing.

Thanks in advance for any replies! They are truly appreciated! :)

jonathan512

5 Year Member
I have two stink pots in a 100 gallon with my dbts and they do just fine .theyre excellent swimmers I did make sure to have areas in the tank where It is easy to climb up to the top but they hardly use it they swim up and down with ease. My smallest is about the size of a dime and the other is 2 inches . :)

Stinkpots are awesome :D

bellyboo

5 Year Member
jonathan512 said:
I have two stink pots in a 100 gallon with my dbts and they do just fine .theyre excellent swimmers I did make sure to have areas in the tank where It is easy to climb up to the top but they hardly use it they swim up and down with ease. My smallest is about the size of a dime and the other is 2 inches . :)

Stinkpots are awesome :D

Thanks so much! I was pretty sure, but I wanted to double check to be sure. They are goofy little guys! We've always had sliders so I never really looked into one until now. They just make me smile! :)

Do you have all of your turtles in the 100 gallon? I'm wondering now if I couldn't add two stinkpots. ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You may want to wait round for other RES caregivers....I personally would not be concerned about the little turtle bothering or paying much attention to your RES.....but I would be concerned about how your RES may harm the much smaller turtle? RESs are a curious turtle and like to munch on a variety of things that look yummy...like a little foot or head or tail...you know? Now...I have never kept different species of tortoise nor turtle with each other....so this just seems like something I would not see a positive benefit coming from...but, remember this is simply my opinion....and would suggest waiting round for others experience and opinion :D

bellyboo

5 Year Member
ascott said:
You may want to wait round for other RES caregivers....I personally would not be concerned about the little turtle bothering or paying much attention to your RES.....but I would be concerned about how your RES may harm the much smaller turtle? RESs are a curious turtle and like to munch on a variety of things that look yummy...like a little foot or head or tail...you know? Now...I have never kept different species of tortoise nor turtle with each other....so this just seems like something I would not see a positive benefit coming from...but, remember this is simply my opinion....and would suggest waiting round for others experience and opinion :D

Thank you! I will definitely be waiting a few days as it's much too cold here right now to ship a turtle. I've been doing a lot of research and from what I've read both species of turtles gets along very well and many people have had success with them. My main concern was the water depth and musk turtles in general not being strong swimmers. I'm definitely open to hearing what others with experience with both have to say though! The only turtles I've ever combined were RES...one two adults and once two hatchlings...and both times it went well. My RES right now is in with a pleco and hasn't bothered it at all, but we'll see. She is still settling in to her new home.

Thanks again for the reply! :)

bellyboo

5 Year Member
On second thought, I think we are going to wait. We are enjoying our new RES very much, why risk the stress and chance ruining a good thing? As much as I'd like to add another little turtle, it almost seems unfair to the one we just got. And it seems greedy. :( We'll give her some time alone to continue getting used to being our pet.

Thanks, everyone! :D

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
i have a stinkpot named turd thats a lil bigger than a nickle and hes with a 5" african sideneck and 4 baby RES. idk if its the same with adult RES, but the babies do awesome with my turd hahahaha

the RES and turd are really good friend, hes not very shy and has a cool personality

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm so wishy washy on the whole thing. lol! I'm just really nervous to have an adorable baby turtle and have it not work out. Before I was afraid of too much water, now I'm afraid of my RES biting off a leg!

I do have a 10 gallon fish tank with just a few fish in it and no plans of adding more (we're done with the fishies once these little guys move on. :( ) so there is a possibility of moving him out for a while if needed. He'd just have to bunk with two really old goldfish and a few tetras.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I think the people should worry about the RES. Though this is not always the case, stinkpots may be aggressive to other turtles and I've heard that an experienced turtle keeper had his stinkpot chase his southern painted out of the 200 gallon tank they shared. Just something to look out for.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Well....my hubby and I talked about it and we decided 100% no new turtle. We just don't want to risk it. And we don't to stress our new turtle out. We have no clue what her previous owners were like, all I was told was that they didn't know how to care for her. And i know she was only in 2 gallons of water.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I really appreciate it! And thanks for putting up with me and my ten million questions. ;)

And really, it was rather greedy of us to want to add another. It was for our own benefit, not hers. She's a wonderful turtle and we will enjoy her for many, many years. :)

jd23kta

5 Year Member
Turtleswagg said:
i have a stinkpot named turd thats a lil bigger than a nickle and hes with a 5" african sideneck and 4 baby RES. idk if its the same with adult RES, but the babies do awesome with my turd hahahaha

the RES and turd are really good friend, hes not very shy and has a cool personality

i like turtles
hi vince :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.