Stinkpot needs a home

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
We're all excited too!
I'm thinking of changing Gimpy's name, but not sure what to change it to.

Although I like Yvonne's suggestion of Jill, my husband's younger sister is named Jill, which could make for some interesting conversations:
Me: "Jill really enjoyed the earthworm I gave her- she gobbled it right up!" Or...
Me: "I'm not sure if Jill needs to get checked for parasites or not..." [emoji2]
Funny... That would be a predicament. :)

Hrmmm... Branching off the Jacques and Jill theme (at least that's where my mind started this time)...

Julian / Julianne / Julie / Jules
Jean / Jean (French / Southern U.S. pronunciations)
Jamie
Jasmine / Jazz

Let me know if you have thoughts or a theme in mind. I have a few lists of potential critter names around here that I can pull from. :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Gimpy (mean name) could not be going to a better home and caregiver
I think "Gimpy" was intended as a term of endearment at the time the turtle was named. And @GimpyCutie has taken good care of this young, special needs turtle.

I think we're all in agreement that the future, um, Turtle Formerly Known As Gimpy, will be in great hands with @Moozillion.

Can you imagine what Nelson (Bea's razorback musk) will tell the new kid, from the other side of the dining table? ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Funny... That would be a predicament. :)

Hrmmm... Branching off the Jacques and Jill theme (at least that's where my mind started this time)...

Julian / Julianne / Julie / Jules
Jean / Jean (French / Southern U.S. pronunciations)
Jamie
Jasmine / Jazz

Let me know if you have thoughts or a theme in mind. I have a few lists of potential critter names around here that I can pull from. :)

I like all of these![emoji2]
I'm also kind of waiting to see his/her personality-- seems to be a little feisty from what I've been told![emoji2]
It'll be 1 or maybe 2 weeks til I get him/her- have had to order parts for the undergravel filter to go in the 40 gal breeder tank.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I like all of these![emoji2]
I'm also kind of waiting to see his/her personality-- seems to be a little feisty from what I've been told![emoji2]
It'll be 1 or maybe 2 weeks til I get him/her- have had to order parts for the undergravel filter to go in the 40 gal breeder tank.
I know, sometimes the critters just name themselves... Bold and Pinstripe sure did.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the undergravel filter in the 40B. Shhhh... Don't tell Bold and Pinstripe yet, but we're looking at upgrading them to a 40B the next time Petco has them on sale. ;)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Moozillion - You could keep up the French thing and also give him the name Yves. As in Jacques Yves Cousteau. Don't think I spelt that right but you know who I mean. Then when you adopt another lucky little one, you could finish it and call him Cousteau. But then...what about Nelson? Hmmmm. Nah. You'll have a moment when you have him and he tells you what his name is himself! Looking forward to your posting pics when the time is right.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
By the way, what size is our future Turtle Formerly Known As Gimpy?
She hasn't taken him out to weigh and measure since he's a little feisty, but her estimate is about 2.5 to 3 inches. She sent me a video of him swimming around, and i agree with her estimate.
And, speaking of the video, he/she is remarkably active and a dang good swimmer for someone who is missing a leg!:)
The little stub remaining from his leg is totally healed and grown over, and he uses it to balance himself and even tries to wipe food off his face with it.
He/She sounds like a regular little character!:p

And Gimpy's first owner really has gone above and beyond with him. She found an injured animal that many people would have left, assuming it was doomed, but she didn't. She clearly put a lot of time and effort into learning what was best for him and got it done. :<3:
He/she is in his 2nd tank (on loan from a friend). She has basking areas for him, plants to hide in and feeds him plenty of pellets and live prey. She really has done a great job- and Gimpy and I are the better for it!!!!! :):<3::<3::<3:
@GimpyCutie

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
She hasn't taken him out to weigh and measure since he's a little feisty, but her estimate is about 2.5 to 3 inches. She sent me a video of him swimming around, and i agree with her estimate.
And, speaking of the video, he/she is remarkably active and a dang good swimmer for someone who is missing a leg!:)
The little stub remaining from his leg is totally healed and grown over, and he uses it to balance himself and even tries to wipe food off his face with it.
He/She sounds like a regular little character!:p

And Gimpy's first owner really has gone above and beyond with him. She found an injured animal that many people would have left, assuming it was doomed, but she didn't. She clearly put a lot of time and effort into learning what was best for him and got it done. :<3:
He/she is in his 2nd tank (on loan from a friend). She has basking areas for him, plants to hide in and feeds him plenty of pellets and live prey. She really has done a great job- and Gimpy and I are the better for it!!!!! :):<3::<3::<3:
@GimpyCutie
I love it! He doesn't even know he's a special needs turtle. :)

"Feisty" is a very good, healthy thing in a stinkpot / common musk turtle. Try not to pick him up overhand... :oops: Ouch! ;)

Sounds like he's in the same size range as Bold and Pinstripe. They're looking forward to hearing about his/her adventures!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know, sometimes the critters just name themselves... Bold and Pinstripe sure did.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the undergravel filter in the 40B. Shhhh... Don't tell Bold and Pinstripe yet, but we're looking at upgrading them to a 40B the next time Petco has them on sale. ;)

In regards to the undergravel filter, so far I like it a lot. For messy animals like turtles, though, you need to use a powerhead instead of just an airstone for stronger, better circulation through the gravel. But good powerheads aren't expensive.
I use both a canister filter and an undergravel filter with a powerhead in my 20 gal. long where Nelson is now, and The Turtle Formerly Known As Gimpy will be.
That filter combination seems that to keep good water quality.
I plan to use larger versions of both filters in my 40 gal breeder penthouse tank for Nelson.
I hope this helps![emoji2]

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
In regards to the undergravel filter, so far I like it a lot. For messy animals like turtles, though, you need to use a powerhead instead of just an airstone for stronger, better circulation through the gravel. But good powerheads aren't expensive.
I use both a canister filter and an undergravel filter with a powerhead in my 20 gal. long where Nelson is now, and The Turtle Formerly Known As Gimpy will be.
That filter combination seems that to keep good water quality.
I plan to use larger versions of both filters in my 40 gal breeder penthouse tank for Nelson.
I hope this helps![emoji2]
That helps quite a bit! Thanks! :)