Stock Tank or 2 ZooMed Tortoises Houses?

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
So I was thinking about purchasing a Rubbermaid 50 gallon stock tank to house Stoli in temporarily. The dimensions appear to be 52" L x 32" W x 12" H ... As I stated before I can't have anything built until I move to a townhome after our current lease is up April of 2019. Should I just buy the second Zoomed enclosure and extend to 6ft L x 2ft W x 1ft H or move to the stock tank? Here is an image. Please share your thoughts..again, please don't point out it needs to be bigger I am totally aware of that, Thanks guys/gals :)

rubbermaid-commercial-products-accessories-rcp4243bla-64_1000.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you using now? Can't you just add onto it, making it larger and probably cheaper. A second level even works.
Otherwise I think the stock tank may be the better of the two. You might be able too make it into two levels with some added fencing to the sides to make them taller.
Have you thought about looking on Craigslist for a cheap used dresser. Remove drawers and line with pond liner. Cheaper and if you could find two, you could possibly stack them and make two levels. Large kiddy pools, the plastic ones for around 10 bucks or so works good too.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
What are you using now? Can't you just add onto it, making it larger and probably cheaper. A second level even works.
Otherwise I think the stock tank may be the better of the two. You might be able too make it into two levels with some added fencing to the sides to make them taller.
Have you thought about looking on Craigslist for a cheap used dresser. Remove drawers and line with pond liner. Cheaper and if you could find two, you could possibly stack them and make two levels. Large kiddy pools, the plastic ones for around 10 bucks or so works good too.

Yeah I have the ZooMed Tortoise House, you can add a second to extend it to 6ft in length, the depth will still be 2ft of course, the height will still be 12 inches. The Stock Tank is about 5ft in length...2 1/2 to 3ft in depth....and 12 inches in height. The whole goal is to construct something much bigger and creative. Until I move out of the apartment next year and into a townhome...I'm trying to give him a bit more space. The stock tank is about 90 but so is the second tortoise house to attach to the one I currently have

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about getting the stock tank and rigging the Zoomed to it as a second level. This way the zoomed already as a top.
Put a hole in the floor or side of the zoomed with a ramp going to it and have the zoomed sit on top of the stock tank.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
How about getting the stock tank and rigging the Zoomed to it as a second level. This way the zoomed already as a top.
Put a hole in the floor or side of the zoomed with a ramp going to it and have the zoomed sit on top of the stock tank.

Hmm, that's a unique idea. I think I'd rather go with the simpler approach, at least this time. II appreciate your creativity though. So if you had to choose between adding the second enclosure and stretching it to 6ft x 2ft...or go with the stock tank making it almost 5ft x a little over 3 1/2ft.. What option would you choose?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hmmm.
I would look at it this way. They are both pretty much the same size. Which one would I get more use out of.
The Zoomeds would be easier to add onto. Probably easier to attach heat and lights too. The stock tank could be reused for a turtle or a pond.
Zoomed would probably look nicer in a room.
I have the room to reuse the stock tank as a pond so that's probably the one I would get. But if that's not in your future then you might want to go the other way.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Hmmm.
I would look at it this way. They are both pretty much the same size. Which one would I get more use out of.
The Zoomeds would be easier to add onto. Probably easier to attach heat and lights too. The stock tank could be reused for a turtle or a pond.
Zoomed would probably look nicer in a room.
I have the room to reuse the stock tank as a pond so that's probably the one I would get. But if that's not in your future then you might want to go the other way.

I kinda was leaning towards the stock tank as it is about 8 inches more wider (even though it's an oval shape)..it would be more resistant to moisture obviously. I do have an adjustable light stand fixture I also bought that I could use too. The thing I do love about the zoomed enclosures are they do look nice since they are wood. I will need to find a latch to hold the enclosure together with the other. Do you think it would be wise to have a second basking light, or should I only go with one? Also, have you had any experience with the new metal halide lamps? I was very interested in getting one

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Go with the one you like the best.
One basking light is enough. Use a Che if more heat is needed.
I don't have experience with the halides except with aquariums.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
why not just go to a local goodwill or thrift shop and buy a good size bookshelf. Then just whack out the shelves and place it on its back.

Like I said I have to be conscious about the space in my apartment until we move, I was lucky enough to convince my spouse to allow 6ft lol