Stolen equipment

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My friend has a 100 lb sulcata named Boulder. Yesterday while she and I were in town, some miserable low-life came in the gate and stole his Stanfield heat mat out of his box! That's the only item that's missing, but of course we wonder if Boulder was the target. Fortunately he's feeling his hormones right now and isn't as amicable as usual. We think he'd put up a fight.

Now there is only a light in his box, and we're going into the high 30's at night.

My friend has had a series of very expensive vet bills lately for her dogs, and is stretched to the breaking point.

I'm looking for a heat mat, 18"x24". I also want to upgrade his light to a RHP. And I need a thermostat.

If anyone has used, extra items taking up space that you would like to sell, please PM me. I've already helped my friend several times, and I just can't do more than this.

It worries me that Boulder is going to get so cold, but the only option is to put a cube heater blowing into his box for the time being.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If anyone has used, extra items taking up space that you would like to sell, please PM me. I've already helped my friend several times, and I just can't do more than this.
Karen I've got extra RHPs and Kane mats here. Come pick them up any time. You can borrow them for as long as you need. I'll show you the new star babies hatching. I'll be hunting with the hawks up in Palmdale in the early morning and then home after that working some dogs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Karen I've got extra RHPs and Kane mats here. Come pick them up any time. You can borrow them for as long as you need. I'll show you the new star babies hatching. I'll be hunting with the hawks up in Palmdale in the early morning and then home after that working some dogs.

Bless your heart! I can't come Sat or Sun, but I'm looking at next week. Are there days next week you won't be available?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bless your heart! I can't come Sat or Sun, but I'm looking at next week. Are there days next week you won't be available?
You know my crazy business. Totally erratic and unpredictable hours, and December is always the busiest, craziest month. One way or another I'll make it work. I can leave the equipment with my wife or a co-worker for pick up if I'm not going to be available when you need to come and get it. I'll set it all aside today.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, here's the end of the story...

My friend and I made some schedule changes and all was arranged to drive to Tom's place on Sunday.

Late Saturday afternoon my friend notices something odd in a remote area of her wrap-around-the-house yard. It was nearly dark, so a bit difficult to see. Getting closer, she realized IT WAS THE HEAT MAT!!

Boulder,...maybe the cord got wrapped around his leg?...somehow pulled that mat out of his box! He pulled hard enough that he unplugged it, then the plug had to go through a hole in the side of the box that had been drilled for it, and then he pushed/pulled/dragged the whole mat about 100ft away from the box!

We cancelled our trip to Tom's, and put our original plans back into action.

He's not even mine, and this lughead is going to drive me nuts. It's a good thing I love him!

Anybody want to adopt him? He's too big to pick up, is destructive, gets into trouble routinely, and chases you to ram into your legs. Altogether a wonderful pet! ?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
You know my crazy business. Totally erratic and unpredictable hours, and December is always the busiest, craziest month. One way or another I'll make it work. I can leave the equipment with my wife or a co-worker for pick up if I'm not going to be available when you need to come and get it. I'll set it all aside today.

So nice?.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida

My friend and I made some schedule changes and all was arranged to drive to Tom's place on Sunday.

Late Saturday afternoon my friend notices something odd in a remote area of her wrap-around-the-house yard. It was nearly dark, so a bit difficult to see. Getting closer, she realized IT WAS THE HEAT MAT!!

Boulder,...maybe the cord got wrapped around his leg?...somehow pulled that mat out of his box! He pulled hard enough that he unplugged it, then the plug had to go through a hole in the side of the box that had been drilled for it, and then he pushed/pulled/dragged the whole mat about 100ft away from the box!

He's not even mine, and this lughead is going to drive me nuts. It's a good thing I love him!

Anybody want to adopt him? He's too big to pick up, is destructive, gets into trouble routinely, and chases you to ram into your legs. Altogether a wonderful pet! ?
So the heat mat did walk off... but with four legs instead of two! ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tell her to take a look at her mat. See those four holes in each corner? She needs to put a screw through each of those holes. Not too tight or she'll break the plastic. Just enough so the screw heads are touching the plastic with a little bit of pressure.

Then go to Home Depot and buy some 1/2 inch, "two hole" electrical conduit clamps. Like this:
conduit-fittings-26121-64_145.jpg
Use the clamps to go about one foot up the wall if the enclosure about every two inches to hold the cord in place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took a piece of 1" PVC about a foot long and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I used the clamps shown in Tom's post to secure it to the wall:

Dudley's cord.jpg

With just the clamps against the cord, Dudley would still get his claws around the cord and pull it. But with it in the PVC, he can't do any damage.

(Spider webs? What spider webs???)

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Use the clamps to go about one foot up the wall if the enclosure about every two inches to hold the cord in place.

I took a piece of 1" PVC about a foot long and cut it in half lengthwise.

These are both excellent methods! I will present them to Lynn, (Boulder's 1st mama), and see what she wants to do. Thank you both!

The final (hopefully) paragraph of this event...

Lynn and I attend the same church, which has been on an outdoor schedule since COVID lockdowns began. Despite church being very important to me, I just couldn't handle going to church outside, at 7 AM, in the heat of summer, for 1 hour only. Lynn felt the same way, so neither of us have been to church in 6 months. ?

So Sunday the church was going to be inside at our regular 10:00 starting time! First time in 6 months! On Thurs I had enthusiastically told the pastor "of course I'll be there!"

Phone convo with Lynn on Sat afternoon:
Me: I told Tom we can't come on Sunday.

Lynn: I think we need to, Boulder's cold.

Me: But it's the first day of church!

Lynn: I know but it will be in the 30's tonight.

Me: I don't have the guts to call the pastor and tell him. You call him.

Lynn: I don't have his number.

Me: I'll give you his number.

Lynn: It's getting dark. I have to go out and figure out something for Boulder for tonight.

Me (with gritted teeth): I'll call him!

Lynn: You're so sweet! Bye!

So I called our pastor and spoke with his wife, explaining all of the situation why neither of us would be in church. The disappointment in her voice makes me feel 6 inches tall.

Later afternoon: Lynn finds the mat. We cancel trip to Tom's. I took a small cube heater over to blow some warm air into Boulder's box.

And we both show up to church in the morning, chuckling at the surprised expressions of our pastor and his wife! ?‍♂️?‍♀️

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm still laughing when I think about this ??

Do you have any pics of Boulder to share?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club