Stolen Manouria Torts in GA/Heartbroken

Sheryl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
On 2 consecutive Saturday nights (May 31, June 7) a Manouria tortoise was stolen from my large fenced backyard. in Athens, GA. I am angry, sad, heartbroken, and feel like I've failed these magnificent "friends." The female has a "B" on her carapace, and she weighs 30lbs. The male has a "C" on his carapace, and he weighs 17lbs. Both are 10 years old, and both are microchipped. These Asian Brown Mountain tortoises depended on me to provide food and shelter for them, and in return they provided me with so much more. But I obviously did not prevent their disappearance. There are no voids in the fence. I've checked EVERYWHERE in the yard, under the pampas grass, in the liriope, in their hides. Nowhere to be found. The other tortoises in the yard are now in another location.

The police came out, and this event is way out of the realm of the average criminal activity they're used to responding to. The theft was in yesterday's local paper in the crime blogger section. I've notified animal control, UGA Veterinary Hospital (exotics), the local zoo, the local nature center, a large park with pond (and large turtles), and the local vet here that does specialize in reptiles. A TV station out of Atlanta wants to come and do a broadcast report about it, but I'm unsure of the benefits vs. anymore unsavory activity feeding off this news.

Last night someone again came into the yard looking for more torts. To say the least I am not resting easily. My heart wants these tortoises to be returned or turned in unharmed, but my mind knows better. I've been checking Kingsnake.com and Craigslist; so far, nothing. So if anyone hears or reads about Manouria or similar tortoises for sale, please let me know.

Sheryl

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 77

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sorry to hear about you tortoises. You might want to consider talking to the news people, sometimes that gets the pets returned pretty quickly. I hope you get them back soon.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Good luck on recovering your torts.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
im sorry that sucks but if they are microchipped doesn't that give a general area of where they are?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Sheryl
I'm sorry about your lost . But maybe what you may want to run ads on Kingsnake and CL " Wanted ----- tort top dollar payed" and see what happens . It's only a thought . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Does Georgia have "stand your ground"? If so, wait for them to return and do what you have to do. This just inspired me to buy security cameras.

Im not sure what the laws are in Georgia but I would do this regardless of the law. Someone that is in your backyard stealing from you is not going to go running to the police if he just happens to get hurt while he is stealing from you. If you want some good ideas you can message me and I will give you my number. I have ZERO patients for folks that steal torts

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not a violent person by nature ( stop laughing) but this kind of thing fills me with very unpleasant thoughts.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I'm just sick to my stomach after reading this. I'm so sorry.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Posting pictures of your stolen torts helps us to keep an eye open. When any of us are out and about (pet stores, shows) we can be looking.

I would treat this like a "lost" case as well and post pictures and reward posters. Area pet stores and up coming reptile shows are a good place to check.

You are smart about getting them chipped. Although they don't help you locate them (they are not location beacons or such) they are absolute proof of ownership.

I have video cameras in several places in my yard and driveway. More of a deterrent is the signs that say "Smile, you are on video!" that I have posted around my property.

I don't endorse violence with a gun except in the case of horse and turtle thieves.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
This is so awfull. What scum would steal someones beloved pet :( I would put out motion lights and cameras, even if they were fake, just to scare away the jerks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah, darn it. I'm so sorry this happened.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sad that people would do this. Might want to go to local ups,fedex, and airport delivery places too. And see if they can flag any next day air shipments that are around 35-45 pounds, in case they get sold to someone across the nation. Hope you find them. I'd also put up a ad on fauna and king snake telling your story and blast the pics all over it in case someone does get them offered to them.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow this is horrible, is there a way you could maybe hire someone to stand and watch at night? Preferably someone who can use a weapon. Also I remember reading a post on this forum about a week ago I think how someone got their tortoise back by putting up fliers everywhere with information of how much work and how much it cost to take care of the tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So,sorry this happened. I so hope that you get them back unharmed and in good shape. Be sure to search I to local areas, but outside of the immediate area you live. Most likely the won't list them for sale in your local CL but probably the surrounding areas. Please keep us updated.

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm so sorry this had happen to u and hopefully u will get them back soon. I actually had told my hubby the other day, telling him that I was afraid that one day when my little one is big enough to be outside that someone might steal him from our backyard. Hubby rolled his eyes and said no one will do that, it's such a helpless feeling. Hugs! Praying with all the efforts u have put out trying to find them will lead u to a happy ending.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Best wishes to you and your missing Torts. Did you put up some security measure? Camera? Motion detected light?

I'm mad and sad by this. Best wishes!!!