Storage Cube / Coroplast Enclosure for Russian Tortoise?

Schildlkröte

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I am considering a Russian tortoise and gathering ideas for an indoor enclosure.

One idea is to resurrect the storage cube/coroplast structure that housed guinea pigs for several years. The base and 6" walls are made of a very easily cleaned single sheet of folded coroplast (with the back wall 10" high), and the cage part is a set of storage cube panels zip-tied together.

I would also use the folding storage cube cover since I have a cat and dog and want to keep them out. It looks a lot like this but with a high back wall and the cover:

https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com...Largewhiteangle.jpg?bw=780&w=780&bh=780&h=780

I thought that this might work well for a Russian tortoise since it allows for good air circulation, and I understand that the cool side of their enclosure can be room temperature.

Please let me know if you think this might be a suitable indoor enclosure for a Russian tortoise. I am consulting the beginner threads, and I know I will have more questions, especially about heat and light, as I continue to plan.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An adult Russian needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure. I don't think what your talking about is that big.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Beyond needing 4x8 feet of enclosure, 6 inches of wall height would only get you a lost tort. Most males get to 5 or 6 inches in length and females get bigger....and they WILL stand up on their back legs and climb. My male is such an escape artist I still keep an eye on him with 10 inches of wall height. Don't go with any less than 12 inches in height, I suggest 14 so 4 can be for substrate and the other 10 be for keeping him/her in.

Schildlkröte

United States
Thanks for the tips.

Wellington, I can expand the enclosure. It's easy to add the panels to extend it or to add height. The coroplast is not expensive and I've already got plenty of storage cube panels.

Darkfire007, the one that I have has a folding lid. I would keep it closed to keep the cat out and the tortoise in.

I found another image. This one is actually billed as a tortoise enclosure on Pinterest:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f4/2c/9d/...096df7024fd--tortoise-cage-tortoise-house.jpg

I think my biggest question about this type of enclosure is if the openness is suitable for a tortoise. I have never seen a tortoise in a wire enclosure before, but I have seen many turtle tables that were wide open.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Thanks for the tips.

Wellington, I can expand the enclosure. It's easy to add the panels to extend it or to add height. The coroplast is not expensive and I've already got plenty of storage cube panels.

Darkfire007, the one that I have has a folding lid. I would keep it closed to keep the cat out and the tortoise in.

I found another image. This one is actually billed as a tortoise enclosure on Pinterest:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f4/2c/9d/...096df7024fd--tortoise-cage-tortoise-house.jpg

I think my biggest question about this type of enclosure is if the openness is suitable for a tortoise. I have never seen a tortoise in a wire enclosure before, but I have seen many turtle tables that were wide open.

True story...I wanted something for my male to run around in outside for a couple hours a day and be able to graze, not get away, get his sun, and be protected from predators like birds. I went with a galvanized wire box with squares smaller than the tort. It worked beautifully, light, movable and rust resistant. I made one mistake...I didn't tape the first few inches in height. I looked over one day and he was literally at the VERY top of it's ceiling from climbing the squares. Be sure to tape say those first two rows of squares up if you use that one. Russians can climb anything...

As for the size, 4x8 is supposed to be minimum...and people here won't like me for saying this, but I am of the opinion sacrificing a foot or two in size is not that big of a deal as long as you only have one tort and you provide everything else it needs and do so well. I would rather there be 50 owners with a 3x7 enclosure that baby their torts than ONE owner with a huge enclosure that neglects them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the tips.

As long as the other safety protocols are met, that would be a suitable container for a Russian tortoise. Adult russian tortoises don't have the humidity requirement of youngsters, so an open-topped container is fine for a Russian.