Store bought Aloe Vera -safe to feed?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
Bought from garden works (Canada).
Has a tag that says "non GMO and grown pesticide free". So it is like chemical free?

But it has fertilizers. Is that bad?
Can I just feed the plant to my tort right away? (After wiping dust off and cutting spikes)

Or do I have to transfer the plant into a another pot with soil and no fertilizer, cut off most of the plant and wait for it to regrow (would take years) and only feed those newly grown parts? I doubt I'd have to do that 2nd part though...

I've been confused about feeding plants that have fertilizers in the soil. I can't seem to find a definitive answer about this topic on this forum or anywhere else.
And I can't find these succulents anywhere that don't have fertilizers in their soil.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_105149_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200217_105149_MP.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It is hard to find agreement on tortoise stuff. Peoples experience are different, that’s why you won’t find definitive information. I look to the long-time owners, particularly breeders as they have dealt with the most tortoises over time.

Experienced folks will tell you not to feed plants grown with fertilizer for one year; put it in new dirt if you can and only feed new growth. Aloe is super slow compared to other growing plants so you’re totally right, it will be quite a while before you can feed it. :/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It might not matter from what I've seen.
I've never owned a tortoise that would eat Aloe.
In fact I have many, many plants on my little property that I bought and planted as tortoise food, only to find that they wont eat it.