Store Bought Vegetables & Seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyremarks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hello all!

I'm sure this question has been answered before - in fact I know it has because I saw it on this forum before but can't find it again - but it's in regards to store-bought vegetables and seedlings.

My family's winter garden that was started from seed appears to have been a bust this year. Therefore, I know there is going to be a point in time where I may need to rely on grocery store vegetables to feed Speed Bump. I'm currently buying an organic spring mix but I would really like to vary her diet a little more. I don't have any organic grocery stores around me, so I would have to rely on produce from Walmart, Brookshire Brothers, a local "Farm Patch" store (has mostly locally grown vegetables), etc.

Would feeding produce in the general produce section be harmful to a tortoise? Such as the products which are not in the bags. At one point I was under the impression that as long as it was safe for human consumption, then it was fine for the tortoises... However since I cannot find that exact thread again, I want to make sure I understood correctly. I think I would still pick up the spring mix, but I'd also like to look into collards, mustard greens, dandelions (if I can find them), and just kind of browse to see what's available. Of course I will be providing weeds and as soon as I settle on a more permanent outdoor enclosure, I was going to work on planting different grasses.

Another question I have is regarding seedlings that are now popping up at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Since our garden flopped, Dad resorted to getting some seedlings and I had contemplated doing the same for the tortoise and growing them in pots. I know that a majority-- if not all-- of these seedlings have fertilizers in the soil. What I am wondering is if I remove the soil from the roots completely and wash the roots - by the time the plant matures and produces, will it be safe to feed them to the tortoise?

Note: In the pots I would use an organic soil/mulch and our garden consists of composted manure that's come from our own horses and llamas and has been broken down over time. (I'm assuming that by now any dewormers used on the horses and llamas will be out of this mulch as its been about a year.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes to all. The greens you can get to eat is safe for all. Just be sure to wash them good with just water. The seedlings, if you do what you explained is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.