Story of Wobbles, by Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This will be hard for you to read, I am in tears as I write it. Wobbles is a very sweet pond turtle who lost her right front leg and had the nerves and tendons of her back leg severed by a commercial lawn mower at a golf course. She was a wild turtle until then and that was when she came into my care. She has never tried to bite me even tho she is wild. So she can't swim or hunt or be wild any more. I dearly love this little turtle.
Because she can't swim she lives in a 200 gallon aquarium with just 5 inches of water in it. She's an easy keeper, but about 3 weeks ago she stopped eating and when I offered food she would smell it then brush at her mouth with her elbow and her left foot. I've been sick so Yvonne posted the problem and Danny had me look in her mouth. I had done that before but I didn't see anything. This time my daughter in law helped me and we got her mouth open wide and there was a fuzz all over the roof of her mouth. Picturing the hard bony plate that I know is the roof, I took an orange stick to rub off the fuzz but what happened was I opened a large wound and made it bleed. The roof was not hard, it is soft with rot. OMG! How could she get something like that under my care??? Then how could I add to the hurt she already must be feeling? How awful. So we researched it on-line and proceeded with our treatment. My son held her while I forced open her mouth, Dawn took a q-tip saturated with a dilute Betadine solution and started to swab the wound. Wobbles then did something I thought I would never see, she opened her mouth wider and held real still as Dawn swabbed. It was obvious she knew we were helping her and she was getting some relief from this treatment. We didn't even have to hold her mouth open! Can you believe that! Even after I caused the rot, then opened a bloody wound she still trusted us and she got some relief from what we did. I feel horrible. There are no words I can use to tell how bad I feel. This is the sweetest little turtle and she sure didn't deserve what I did to her. So now *I* need to double check my husbandry and create a better way for her to live, if she lives thru this. She will be at the Vets the first thing tomorrow...to be continued
This is her in a better time. She no longer has the fat roll you see here. Just look at that sweet face. Her name is Wobbles (spelled by spel ck) because she wobbles when she moves.

244z6t5.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Oh Maggie I'm so sorry that Wobbles is not feeling well, but I know that you picked up on that as soon as you could. I knew Danny would know something and am so glad that you guys were able to get her mouth open to see what the problem was. I know that it hurts you to see an animal hurting like this, but I truly think that you're being too hard on yourself. I know you would not allow an animal to hurt if you knew that it was hurting to begin with. I will be looking tomorrow for the update from the vet on Wobbles.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't know enough about turtle to know what caused the mouth rot. But having two boys age 16 and 11 I have learned that sometimes thing just happen. My kids have been sick, hurt and hospitalized and though I felt horrible to see them in pain, it was never anything I did or could prevent. Well I guess if I didn't alow them to play sports or be boys they wouldn't get hurt, but they also would not be happy. I am certain you did the best you could with wobbles. It sounds like you saved her life. Sometime bad thing just happen. You may learn that you made a mistake. But you still gave her a better life than she would have had without you. Also when you share with us what you learn you will be helpping turtles all ovet the world.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Your love shines through. I hope Wobbles gets better soon. Keep us up-dated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To me, it's not what happened before that counts so much. Even with perfect husbandry, turtles do get sick and do often hide it from us. To me the important things are that you noticed it right away, that you immediately sought help online, that you then took action immediately to work on it's cure, and that now your going to the vet and also plan to see if you can improve on the husbandry. It's all those after the fact things that to me show how good a keeper is. Maggie you are way too tough on yourself all the time, remember your only a human and humans are not prefect. *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.