Strained carrots in water for tort health

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I couldn't find much on it while searching, and I have a few questions, so I figured I get started with this thread.
1)Gerber baby carrot food is recommended, but for outside the States, what should we look for in the product, like sugar content etc etc.
2)Carrots have a high level of sugar content, if you would feed the strained carrots to the tort, when ill and not eating, would it disrupt the gut flora?
3)What is the ratio of soaking water to strained carrots?
4)Is there anything we should specifically look out for in a product that could be harmful or benefitial? Could any strained baby carrot product work?
(Sorry for the essay of questions, it's just... tuff to have a struggling tort, these are questions I thought about, perhaps it could help other members as well)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any baby food will do. Yes the less sugar or all natural would be best. However, at the times we are suggesting it, we are more concerned about helping to save the babies. The carrots are mainly for eye problems. I suggest it with any problrm that the baby isn't eating and failing as it gives them some nutritional help. I also advise to use it with baby or child piediyte. The combo seems to help a lot.
Squashes can also be used. As for ratio, normal level of soaking water, in a bathroom sink or dish wash tub, with water coming up just pass where the two shells meet and a full small jar of baby food or half of a large jar.
Others that recommends these items may have a different ratio. I don't think any would be bad.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I couldn't find much on it while searching, and I have a few questions, so I figured I get started with this thread.
1)Gerber baby carrot food is recommended, but for outside the States, what should we look for in the product, like sugar content etc etc.
2)Carrots have a high level of sugar content, if you would feed the strained carrots to the tort, when ill and not eating, would it disrupt the gut flora?
4)Is there anything we should specifically look out for in a product that could be harmful or benefitial? Could any strained baby carrot product work?
(Sorry for the essay of questions, it's just... tuff to have a struggling tort, these are questions I thought about, perhaps it could help other members as well)
Honestly, you are over thinking this. When you have a tortoise or box turtle who has not eaten for a while...maybe a couple of weeks, a mixture of the strained carrots and water, then soak the animal for a long time keeping the water warm under a light...I have used this many times and generally speaking, it works. I don't think the sugar content is important when you have an animal who is not doing well, the nutrients at that time are important...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Carrot soaks are only for sick animals. Healthy animals don't need it.

The amount I use depends on the size of the tortoise and soaking container. I just estimate the amount, and its not critical. A rough estimate would be a jar of baby food in a liter of water. Half that amount or twice that amount would still work. I typically use regular Gerber type baby food with no additives.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Does it have to be baby food? What about finely grated raw carrot in the warm water as a beneficial soak?