strange day with unwanted outcome

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
i got a call from the vet it takes Turts a long time to wake up from anesth. so she will call me back in a few hours with another update. All went as planned and she is being monitored constantly. i can get her tomorrow, but i don't know what her restrictions will be. probably no substrate for a while. i know she is not allowed to soak for a while, either.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
i got a call from the vet it takes Turts a long time to wake up from anesth. so she will call me back in a few hours with another update. All went as planned and she is being monitored constantly. i can get her tomorrow, but i don't know what her restrictions will be. probably no substrate for a while. i know she is not allowed to soak for a while, either.
Hey Colleen, any updates yet? This poor baby just touched my heart. Can't imagine the suffering she endured

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Ilene is home and she is doing fine. Vet showed me how to give her a shot of morphine in the muscle, which i will do for 2 days in a row. Also has oral meds and i think that will be harder than the Injections. I took a pic of her stump, of what she will show me, she is not putting it out when i want her to, but i think you can get the idea. it is the far right. the left is her front leg. The bone that was sticking out looked like fresh healthy bone but was dying on the inside. So if she did not have the surgery, she likely would have died. Still hopeful to hear back from the guy, i sent him email pics of the bill.

stumpfirstdayhome_zps3xf3kcui.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Ilene is home and she is doing fine. Vet showed me how to give her a shot of morphine in the muscle, which i will do for 2 days in a row. Also has oral meds and i think that will be harder than the Injections. I took a pic of her stump, of what she will show me, she is not putting it out when i want her to, but i think you can get the idea. it is the far right. the left is her front leg. The bone that was sticking out looked like fresh healthy bone but was dying on the inside. So if she did not have the surgery, she likely would have died. Still hopeful to hear back from the guy, i sent him email pics of the bill.

stumpfirstdayhome_zps3xf3kcui.jpg
Poor baby! Did you send him the picture of the stump too?

Pearly

5 Year Member
here is a youtube video of Ilene walking a little bit.
Sweet mama Mia! That poor thing is doing really well! I'm glad she's on pain meds. Can't begin to imagine the pain she had endured when all this was happening. Bone pain is one of the worst. God bless you for taking such good care of her. This will bring you good Karma, I know it! And I really want it for you❤️

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
she has not eaten but the vet said the stress of everything, being shipped, and then surgery is probably too much for her. She is in a dim, quiet room right now and hopefully she will get hungry. But the vet says she is at a good weight and it is fine if she goes off food for a while. I have not emailed a pic of the stump, but did send the vet bill.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I can't imagine the horror this little girl had gone through, and also yours when you were opening her shipping box. This is like the worst purchaser's nightmare. We all unbox our shipped new pets with great anticipation. I can only imagine how you felt... So sorry Darling!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
yeah it was pretty upsetting. I was so excited to see my new three-toed female. But what i got was a Gulf coast with no leg. Ugh.

Rue

Canada
I am sorry you didn't get what you wanted/ordered....but she is a real lucky tortoise to have found you. I hope you come to like her!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
So glad this Boxie came under your loving care! She's gorgeous! I would love to hear that the seller, paid the vet bill.
Good luck with her.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i sure hope your efforts pay off for you , turtlewise and moneywise , i'd say you deserve it ........... maybe your vet told you different , and i'd go with their advice, but if she were mine i'd try her keep at 80-84 degrees with an opportunity to get warmer if she wants ........ if you need to keep her dry , wet sphagnum moss will keep her humid , and i'd want to soak her asap , she'll feel a lot better when she can soak ..............

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
vet says no soaking until 4-6 weeks after she is approved by the vet to soak. only allowed a shallow dish of drinking water. i can place a moist( not wet) papertowel on her for a few minutes at a time if i think she is too dry. She is in a warm quiet room now. Giving her the meds is the worst part of all of this. I have to pry her shell open and pry her mouth open and squirt it into her mouth every 12 hours. I cannot do it by myself, hubby has had to help me.

Pearly

5 Year Member
vet says no soaking until 4-6 weeks after she is approved by the vet to soak. only allowed a shallow dish of drinking water. i can place a moist( not wet) papertowel on her for a few minutes at a time if i think she is too dry. She is in a warm quiet room now. Giving her the meds is the worst part of all of this. I have to pry her shell open and pry her mouth open and squirt it into her mouth every 12 hours. I cannot do it by myself, hubby has had to help me.
I was going to say this same, post amputation you really want to give tissue time to heal over the bone that's been cut. I'm not sure about 4-6 wks but 10-14 days I'd definitely not allow the stump to be submerged. I wonder if there's a way to dunk her butt without getting the stump wet.... Maybe at least moist compresses? I.e. "wet diaper"?.... I sure hope she's drinking, eating, pee&pooping. I just still am in shock that this happened

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Vet said i can dunk her front half but nothing near the stump. Vet said turtles heal slowly. it seems odd to me, but i am not a turtle vet. I have still heard nothing from Turtle seller. Have emailed him the vet bill and tried to call just now but voicemail was full. Starting to wonder.