strange day with unwanted outcome

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
Update -the seller agreed to pay me back the money i paid him, but he will not reimburse me for the vet bills. He has given the money back, but Now i have a turtle i did not want and a $500 bill i paid. I hope karma comes early for me..

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Well...better a refund than nothing at all...and you did a truly wonderful thing for the animal.

You're a turtle hero! :tort:

Actually it is better than nothing, but that is not the point. i paid a 500 vet bill for a turtle i did not order. THAT is not my responsibility it is his. If he were a person with good character, which i guess he's not, he would pay it. He should want to pay it to keep his repuation. He should want to pay it bc a good person WOULD pay it. But he does not care. Which makes me wonder if he was holding onto a defective animal until someone ordered ANY female box turtle so he could be rid of the problem.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Update -the seller agreed to pay me back the money i paid him, but he will not reimburse me for the vet bills. He has given the money back, but Now i have a turtle i did not want and a $500 bill i paid. I hope karma comes early for me..

Colleen, you've done such a wonderful job with this Box Turtle and truly went above and beyond in the care for her! However, I can tell you right now, the seller did not make this right! A good soak and inspection should of been given to her before she was packaged and ready for shipment. Plucking her from the herd with an unknowing injury seemed a bit fishy, but then not knowing the correct subspecies was an immediate red flag! Not offering to pay for at least half the medical bills is enough for me. I would never do business with him again and I would advise others to do the same. There is no excuse when it comes to shipping live animals, every precaution should of been taken, and it clearly wasn't! Quite frankly this disgusts me and is unacceptable!
I wish the very best and hopefully she gets through the stress of this ordeal. Best of luck!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
You have been great on your end. The time to protect this 5 star rated seller has passed. Shipping a tortoise that arrives separate from one of its limbs isn't a little problem. The reimbursement for the tortoise, wrong kind at that, is far too little.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's just crazy . I can't believe you ordered a three toed box turtles ,then ended up with a three legged turtle . Then on top of it all he will not pay the vet bills or take the turtle back and ship you what you ordered . I'm not trying to be funny so don't take this wrong .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You have been great on your end. The time to protect this 5 star rated seller has passed. Shipping a tortoise that arrives separate from one of its limbs isn't a little problem. The reimbursement for the tortoise, wrong kind at that, is far too little.
I agree ! You should at least tell the name of the seller so no one else will have to deal with this guy . If I say I'm going to do something I am going to do it . If I screwed up doing what I said I'll do . I will do everything I can to make it right.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
and i'd imagine he justified his lack of integrity by telling you what you did wrong ........ most of the folks flipping animals , no matter what kind of animal , are for the most part the same .....

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
and i'd imagine he justified his lack of integrity by telling you what you did wrong ........ most of the folks flipping animals , no matter what kind of animal , are for the most part the same .....

Actually he did not blame me for anything, i mean he couldn't. i took pics and got the turtle to the vet within an hour of the package arriving. He admits he sent the wrong turtle and he admits that it had a leg fall off. but he says he won't pay the vet bills, it's not his policy to pay vet bills for an animal once it leaves his property. Which might be rational in most cases, but in THIS case, he is obviously at fault.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Actually he did not blame me for anything, i mean he couldn't. i took pics and got the turtle to the vet within an hour of the package arriving. He admits he sent the wrong turtle and he admits that it had a leg fall off. but he says he won't pay the vet bills, it's not his policy to pay vet bills for an animal once it leaves his property. Which might be rational in most cases, but in THIS case, he is obviously at fault.
Given that this wasn't the animal that you ordered, I doubt his defence of I don't pay for animals that have left my property would stand up in court.

You could threaten to sue ... and notify the SPCA

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
What a story! You are not "in the wrong" here, the seller is and given opportunity to make things right, he didn't. Policy-schmalacy! Some people try to use it as smoke screen to cover up their incompetence, lazyness or low standards. I think I'm not the only one here who would like to know whom to avoid in a future. Will you let us know the name of the company that you've had a displeasure of dealing with?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd have thought he'd tell you you should have returned the animal rather than take it to the vet .........personally i'd think his policy would be more in line with being a 5 star operation if the policy was he didn't send out animals that needed a vet ..... he's out nothing , an unsalable turtle whose value is less than what needed invested in it ........ i happen to know the health status of all my animals and they're not even my job , if i couldn't , i'd have less of them .......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i'd have thought he'd tell you you should have returned the animal rather than take it to the vet .........personally i'd think his policy would be more in line with being a 5 star operation if the policy was he didn't send out animals that needed a vet ..... he's out nothing , an unsalable turtle whose value is less than what needed invested in it ........ i happen to know the health status of all my animals and they're not even my job , if i couldn't , i'd have less of them .......

This would be my reaction too. Send me back the animal, I'll reimburse your $$ for the animal and pay the shipping back to me.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
This would be my reaction too. Send me back the animal, I'll reimburse your $$ for the animal and pay the shipping back to me.

the problem with that is- the bone was sticking out, and i had no options except to get the animal to a vet. there is no way to ethically ship an animal with a bone sticking out.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've done it twice .... not everyone sees them as disposable products , if one of my animals is sick they get whatever care they need ........ your sitting there looking at an animal that will probably die shortly even under the best of conditions , and the seller tells you to send it back , they may as well just tell you to throw it away .........

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
My prior post was correctly nuked as it was in the vendor review area so I'll try again.
I am sorry what has happened to you. Your vet care for the tortoise you received was the only humane choice. Your photo in the vendor review section is terrible.
The sellers decision to hide behind a no vet bills paid policy is BS. ATC is not a giant corporation. The policy is just Andrews decision. I understand the policy. It is unfortunately wrong in this case. It appears to be a business decision that the money is worth more than their reputation. Too bad.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Coleen. I don't want to stir the pot and I would have done as you did and gone to the vet. But the vet and the surgery was a choice. And I wouldn't expect a breeder to pay for it. I would, however expect a full and prompt refund with shipping covered.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i believe you'll find most of those "businesses" do not refund shipping cost , even on dead arrivals ............ i run a business , we ship a product that is not paid for for 60-90days ...... needless to say we ship correct quality stuff , it's the only way we could possibly stay in business ......... this lady didn't see much of a choice , she did what was responsible , this is a live animal , she took care of what she got , the seller needs to be more careful , but with no consequences , why would they be ...... i've dealt with "animal dealers" for decades , aren't many i've come across i have any respect for , poachers , flippers and millers ........ but that's just me ....... i seen where a woman took her neighbors dog to the vet and sued her neighbor for vet bill reimbursement and won the case , the judge said something to the effect of , she took care of your responsibility .....