Strange discharge

Oldbro

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Bob is a 4 year old Sulcata, occasionally he discharges an off white pasty mass when he soaks. Not sure what it is or what may be causing it. Other wise he seems good.
Any Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9921.jpeg
    IMG_9921.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bob is a 4 year old Sulcata, occasionally he discharges an off white pasty mass when he soaks. Not sure what it is or what may be causing it. Other wise he seems good.
Any Ideas?
Those are urates. It is concentrated tortoise urine. It is concentrated because the tortoise needs more hydration, and/or less protein. If it gets more concentrated, and if the tortoise is in a small enclosure and not active enough, it can form into a bladder stone, which is often fatal.

Soak your tortoise more, cut out food sources that are too high in protein, add humidity when and where possible, and make the enclosure as large as you can.

Oldbro

Chicago
He gets fed hay, wheat grass, Mazuri LS,
dandelion and other greens and occasional sliced vegetables. No fruits, gets soaked almost daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He gets fed hay, wheat grass, Mazuri LS,
dandelion and other greens and occasional sliced vegetables. No fruits, gets soaked almost daily.
All of that sounds pretty good. I'd like to see much more variety in the diet. Mulberry leave, grape leaves, opuntia, a wide assortment of other weeds, etc..

What type of hay are you feeding?

What size is the tortoise and what size is the enclosure?

Oldbro

Chicago
What hay do you recommend I rotate. space is a problem. And always will be.
he is 14 lbs. Where do I get the leaves
you recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_9923.jpeg
    IMG_9923.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3