Strange Raised Marks on Redfoot's Face (side)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
This Redfoot of mine is about 6-7" SCL.

He has recently had these brownish marks on this side of his head. They are slightly raised from the skin.

I am not sure what they could be? Could he have scratched his face on something? Are they abnormal growth or something to be more concerned about?

He has had these marks from what I can tell for about a week now.

First picture is the best (look on area where I assume their ear is located, towards the back of the head, brownish raised marks)

You can click on picture twice to get a really close up view!! THANKS

SAM_2573.JPG

SAM_2580.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would say to keep that area flushed with warm water to keep it clean...I also would keep any exposure to flies under control until it is closed and healed....likely an abrasion that is in the healing process....

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Can anyone confirm then, (ideally from personal experience) that this is what a scrape/cut/abrasion wound might look like as it is healing up??

If you click twice on the picture it really zooms in close (first photo at least) and I am curious because it doesn't appear to look like any scab or type of healing that I am used to seeing....I will confess that I have never seen a tortoise wound healing up though..

Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oo-oo-oo-...I've been waiting a long time to be able to say this :p :

It looks like a subdural hematoma!

I'm guessing it is a bruise of some sort. It doesn't look raw, so neosporin wouldn't do anything.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
A bruise huh? Well that is interesting, but I would almost lean that way myself because it doesn't look like any scab I am used to seeing.

Well that is better than some type of tumor or other infectious thing/growth..

I wonder in his enclosure, what he would've done to get a bruise like that...especially it showing up in two different locations. Usually bruising that I am used to is one big bruise, not separate ones..

I'll keep an eye on it!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree that it looks like he bruised/ scraped himself. Could their be a nail that mysteriously poked through wood?

Funny Yvonne..... Subdural Hematoma! :p

I would keep an eye on it. It does not look like an open wound.
At least you saw it! :)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
just keep an eye on it. if it scabs over (not sure if torts get scabs) make sure it doesnt bleed. then again torts may not get scabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.