strange sulcata sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

scientik

5 Year Member
DAC8671 said:
Almost sounds like a territory growl or mating call.

Hi, thanks for reply. I am little bit afraid this is not that. Usually, it is produced by female in the evening, while males are drowsing, or in the early morning...

Petr

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Petr:

to the forum.

Most tortoises do vocalize during mating, but that is the only time. Is your tortoise all by herself when you hear her making this sound?

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
is he maybe mistaking something for a tortoise, or something making him make a sound that would be mating related, it sounds like mating sounds of some sort

scientik

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Petr:

to the forum.

Most tortoises do vocalize during mating, but that is the only time. Is your tortoise all by herself when you hear her making this sound?

Yvonne

Hi,

sure. Mating sounds in sulcata are really different... ;)
They mate almost everyday, but this is somtehing strange.

Thanks

Petr

Tortuslvr

5 Year Member
Yes I have heard my 5 year old male sulcata make noises like that. He was having stomach issues to say the least. Too much fruit for a day. He is fine now but he makes noises quite often. I think he just likes to be heard:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you give us more info about your torts. how are they kept, where do you live, are they grouped together or seperate, diet, temps, did they get cold or wet recently?
That is not a mating sound. it sounds like painful noise, but hard to say.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I agree with Laura. It sounds different from mating sounds. Do you have a tort vet? I would take her to visit him/her.
Does she have any nasal discharge, eye mucous? Is she acting lethargic, like it is an effort to walk? Has she recently been in a cool damp environment?
If they are together, I would separate them til you know what is going on.
Good luck
Patsy

Tortuslvr

5 Year Member
My sully makes that noise if he has eaten to much fruit in a day, he has a stomach ache. He has many bm's it is runny for a day. He mopes around, eats hay and grasses for a day and is back to his usual self. I don't normally feed him fruit but I put it out or my Red foot and I turned my back for a minute and he helped his self. Than he pays for it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortuslvr said:
My sully makes that noise if he has eaten to much fruit in a day, he has a stomach ache. He has many bm's it is runny for a day. He mopes around, eats hay and grasses for a day and is back to his usual self. I don't normally feed him fruit but I put it out or my Red foot and I turned my back for a minute and he helped his self. Than he pays for it!

Yet another reason why different species shouldn't be housed in the same habitat! :D

Yvonne

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was soaking my the other day and Morris let out this loud noise; I was wondering if they can burp because it sounded like that; he has done it twice so could it be that his stomach was upset because he had some fruit;

Status
Not open for further replies.