Stressed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman1

5 Year Member
Hi there,
I just got a new hermans tortoise. He is eating and drinking regularly. Basking lamp is at 95, enclosure temp is 75, and humidity is 40%. The enclosure is 36 by 18 by 12. The tortoise is an adult. The only concern I have is that he is obsessed with digging into and trying to get our of this one corner in his enclosure. His visibility is blocked so he can't see out, but he continues to bang himself against this corner for hours upon hours. It's very upsetting to see so I moved a log in the way of it and some rocks, but he dug into it and got everything out of thee way to continue his banging into the corner :( any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is quite small for an adult. Most keep babies in that size. I would try to get him in to a larger enclosure, even add onto the one he's in. Also, have to give him some settle in time. But, really needs a larger enclosure.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Welcome:) do you have any pictures of your enclosure so we can better assist you? Yes having adequate space and places to hide will help provide security.

Herman1

5 Year Member
I am trying to attach photos, but it keeps saying the attachment has failed : / Herman also goes out during part of the day and is happy and getting exercise there, the enclosure is for the evening and night and on days that aren't good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.