Strong Smell In New Enclosure

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I just got my blonde leopard tortoise in the mail yesterday. I have a big heat mat ready but not yet set in place. The house stays 78F all day, and humidity due to all the rain in DFW is 80% since I got her. But, I noticed a really strong, musky odor from the damp eco earth and unfertilized potting soil mixture I'm using. I was afraid the strong smell would be nauseating with the lid on, so I've kept it open top while at work but shut overnight.
Anyone know if the strong odor can make her sick? Doesn't smell like rot or anything, just overpowering smell of damp coconut coir...

I have cat grass in there presently but it seems healthy. I have scattered some Mizuri Tortoise Diet and Timothy hay around the enclosure, as well as some clippings from the wheat grass / cat grass. I am growing a tortoise seed mixture from tortoises supply but no sprouts yet...

UVB I had from previous reptile broke so I'm looking for a new one to hang over the enclosure. Will be taking outside for sun once clouds break. Looking for new UVB system now. T5 10.0 Reptisun is what I know and use for my beardie, so will probably purchase another one of those unless anyone has a good objection/better suggestion.

Also,would CHE be better than heat pad? Or are both recommended on the hot side of the enclosure? Is 90F about right for digestion?

Do you guys use a specific humidifier? Looking into reptifogger right now on lllreptiles.
Once rain stops, humidity will likely drop to around 40%.

Lots of questions, sorry. Trying to research between classes and on breaks. Will be looking more deeply into the Hatchling articles once I get home tonight.
Last question - really want to prevent pyramiding. I'll be trying my best to keep humidity up. Other than that, any suggestions?I saw one person suggest mineral oil to rub on shelshell and lock on moisture...

I'll be soaking 2x daily for 20 minutes. Not sure how long I should keep that up, though.

The enclosure is a 45 gallon Rubbermaid tub by the way. She's so tiny, 3-4 inches, that it seems giant... will move her to a 4ft by 4ft indoor greenhouse setup once it's ready.

Thanks if anyone has time to answer even one of my questions.

20180810_211855.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Foggers are not really necessary. Pouring and misting can be just as effective. No need to constantly refill those little devices. It's way more tedious than humidifiers designed for humans.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The earthy smell won't be harmful to the baby.