Stuck in a corner syndrome

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Anyone have any tips or suggestions to prevent your torts from sitting in the same corner for hours trying to escape?

Specifically when I have Franklin outside after a little while of running around his enclosure he'll pick a corner and fixate on getting out. First off his enclosure is at least 5'-5' so its not like he's bored there's terrain, logs, and I recently added a few colorful whiffle balls he'll sniff and knock around for a while.

The only thing I can think of is he's learned if he gets up straight enough he can see outside a tiny bit, but he also does it inside where he can't see out.

So I mean I know I've heard other people mention this habit before, what do you do? or do you just let them go with it? I mean outside he flipped 3 times and still insisted on the corner (he was able to right himself and he's always supervised outside so tippings not really a worry I just feel bad because I don't understand whats going on in his head!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put something in the corners like a big, round river rock, so he can't fixate on the corners.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
My pancake has a corner of her tank she just goes and lies by for the whole day when she is not eating or sunning her self, tried planting a violet there, she just gets on top of it(poor plant).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can cap the top of the corner...so the prospect/stress of being able to see/obtain/escape will be stopped....