Stuff growing on glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have noticed this whitish maybe slightly gray stuff growing on the glass and on other things in the tank. It's not flat on the glass like algea, it attaches to the glass or object and you can see it moving, but I think that is from the current of the filter. I'm not sure if I could get a good picture of or not. I can try though. It seems to be taking over.

It's really hard to take a true picture of what it looks like, but this is the best I could do.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Would anyone care to take a guess, because I'm not even sure what to research for? I just hope it doesn't hurt my turtle. I guess I can try to tear the tank down and scrub everything. Although I've seen it growing on the turtle too and wiped it off with a paper towel!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Probably some sort of string algae of biofilm. What kind of filter system do you have setup?

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, it's a couple of diamondback hatchlings and they were in a 20 gallon with one of those in tank filters. Over the weekend I got out my 40 breeder for them and added another in tank filter, but before I did I scrubed everything I could in very hot water the best that I could. I think it was Friday I did that.

I was checking out the glass today and it seems it may be growing back a little bit. It's kind of hard to tell, I'll have to keep an eye on it. I wonder if I added a little salt if it would keep stuff like that away? I'm raising them in fresh water though.

Btw, Our local petstore is having a good sale on tanks and I just put a 125 gallon tank in layaway for them, but I'm just going to store it until they're bigger. I will be using a fluval 405 at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.