Stuff on neck and shell damage on rescued tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clinton, MO, USA
I was to get an almost 6 inch male from this guy but he sold the larger male and the three females to a guy planning to breed. He instead gave me the far younger (I resrved taking in the older), somewhat smaller male. He said this guy is 2-3 years old. He lived colony style with the other male and the females. The guy thought the (obvious from the damage) fighting was cool to watch. I think its sick. If more photos are needed let me know. I need some help with these questions as I came home to a courtesy call from my vet's offie saying they are closed until New Year's. All my vet funds are pre-paid on my account there. So until they areback from vacation, I am on my own.

1. The stuff on his neck looks like moldy stuck on bedding that his skin is growing over from a nearly healed injury, what can I do for this? I gently tugged a small piece and it came away without pulling, should I attempt scrubbing with a very soft brush? Should I follow up with anything? Should I use betadine?

2. He has damage to his shell in several places. Both on top and on bottom. Does any of what I got photos of look like shell rot or just injuries? If shell rot, can it be treated similarly to scale rot in snakes? I have dealt with this before (scale rot in a rescued corn) if it is similar I can treat it. If not what can I do until I can see my vet?

3. I saw larger Russians in Petco when I stopped there to price a half log hide, all of their skin looked dark, smooth and healthy. This guy's looks like parchment. Dry and fragile. Does it look bad toyou? Does he seem dehydrated to you?

4. Will a sudden change in diet harm him? I refuse to feed what and how he was fedbefore. He was given 1/2 a romaine leaf and 1/4 cup of defrosted frozen mixed veggies 1 time a day. No time outside, no exposure to water. I have provided a water dish in his enclosure.

Thank you, I just could not walk away from this poor little guy.

Attachments

• DSCF5011.JPG
    DSCF5011.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF5012.JPG
    DSCF5012.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF5016.JPG
    DSCF5016.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF5018.JPG
    DSCF5018.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF5019.JPG
    DSCF5019.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF5021.JPG
    DSCF5021.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF5024.JPG
    DSCF5024.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF5028.JPG
    DSCF5028.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF5030.JPG
    DSCF5030.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF5032.JPG
    DSCF5032.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF5033.JPG
    DSCF5033.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 63

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First thing I would do is soak him. Then a soft brush can gently be used to clear away debris. A better diet is a good plan, but the last one is certainly not the worst I've seen. I'd keep him a bit warmer than normal and give him some peace and quiet for a few days too. I mean other than a soak or two.

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
I Just let him out of the soak. He was absolutely filthy on the strange area of his head/neck. At first I kept stopping and checking to be sure I was not somehow removing skin. The now clean area is as pale as the rest of the neck and "shoulder top area" between the leg and neck. I carefully towel dried as best I could and placed him at his food dish full of turnip greens, thyme, pring mix and field greens mix. He took two setps forward and shoved his face into the salad. After a few moments he bagan ripping into it like crazy. Do Russians always eat as though starving?

Added: just saw his tongue, its a nice healthy pink :)

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Yes, I just got him today, the former owner drove to meet me half way. I drve 100 miles to get him. He's still eating, so I'm keeping the heat on a while longer so there is little risk of issues from his eating this late after tonight his light schedule will be 7:30am to 9:30 pm same as my beardie and swift's lights.

M

Maggie Cummings

No they don't normally eat like that. Did the white fuzzy stuff on his carapace come off after the soak? I'd like you to get some Nolvasan and use that on several spots on his carapace. It's also called Clorhexadine and you can find it on line or at the pet pharmacy

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
maggie3fan said:
No they don't normally eat like that. Did the white fuzzy stuff on his carapace come off after the soak? I'd like you to get some Nolvasan and use that on several spots on his carapace. It's also called Clorhexadine and you can find it on line or at the pet pharmacy

I actually have some in my pet kit. The fuzzy stuff was actually on his neck and it came off. Should I try to apply some there too? As to the eating, I gave him quite a bit and he ate all but 3 pieces. Should I feed this amount everytime or ??

M

Maggie Cummings

carnivorouszoo said:
maggie3fan said:

I actually have some in my pet kit. The fuzzy stuff was actually on his neck and it came off. Should I try to apply some there too? As to the eating, I gave him quite a bit and he ate all but 3 pieces. Should I feed this amount everytime or ??

As long as he's just leaving 1 or 2 pieces yep, feed him the same amount. I saw a fuzzy white stuff covering his carapace and I was thinking it might be shell rot so I was wanting you to wash his carapace with the Chlorhexadine

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
Thank you all. I gently applied the ointment on his shell until he began pulling away, when I touch one damaged area he "runs" away from my finger. I will be sure to have that section looked at. I was wondering what you recommend I add to my pet first aid kit that I might not already have?

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
You're awesome! :D Makes me so happy to see someone work so hard for their tort :D

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
Aww poor tort! Well done on working so hard to make him better, that is the best thing you could do for him! What are you going to call him?

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
His name is Talison :) I love Anime and recently watched Tears to Tiara. In it is a Bard named Talison, Talison sacrifices himself to save the world. Then Dragons reward his gift by saving him. It was so awesome!

tortiechik

5 Year Member
New Mexico
In the photos it looks like he is missing a scute? I agree in the chlorhexidine but betadine can be used too. I have seen silvadene work wonders when applied over top of betadine but the silvadene needs a script. Hope you were able to get him in to see the vet! Poor thing. There are such horrible people in the world (being entertained by watching one animal hurt another)

carnivorouszoo

5 Year Member
Clinton, MO, USA
I'm not sure if he is actually missing a scute but its definitely damaged. Vet said to keep it clean while it heals and I'm to continue using the anti-fungal cream on his bottom part of his shell, the plasturn? At least until it starts looking a bit better. Vet said his skin looks better than it did in the photos which I took with me. Came up clear for parasites so that is good. Vet said his weight looks pretty good too. Made me feel great!

Status
Not open for further replies.