Stumbled across my first Tortoise. Berlandier's/Texas?

mtm

I'll keep this as short as I can, just wanted to share.

I live in Northern Kentucky and spotted this little guy crossing the road this morning. I believe it to be a Berlandier's or Texas Tortoise. I know it's not native to here so I took it in hoping to find the owner. I'm hoping the little guy just wandered off and the owner didn't let it go thinking it would survive.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

uploadfromtaptalk1403291866557.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291883876.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291898693.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291926223.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291942524.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291956205.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403291968205.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Very cool you found him. For sure would of not lived in Kentucky wild through a winter. You will need to bring him in the winter.

yillt

Welcomes to the forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoise parenting.

mtm

Does he look healthy to you guys? I say him, i assume its a male based on the concave section of the bottom of the shell right near the hind legs.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
So glad you found him, he's beautiful. I'm sure everyone that has ever had a tort escape hopes someone kind picked up their baby,

mtm

Oh yes very tame. I can put my hand down and he'll head my direction. I really would like to find the owner considering how well he appears to have been taken care of. Especially if its a little boy or girls pet. I have 2 boys myself and my oldest (3) has taken a liking to him.

mtm

Am i correct in assuming the sex is male? Here is an underbelly picture

uploadfromtaptalk1403294520960.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does the tortoise have the two chin glands? It is hard for me to see this.....beautiful colors.....yes, likely someones missing tort...but would be near impossible to know from where??? I am not convinced it is a texas tort....hmmm? Here is a few really clear pics that may be of help to you in deciding since you are there hands on...

http://www.texasturtles.org/Gopherus_berlandieri.html

mtm

i started throwing something together when i got off work and now its storming

Anyway, i had some 4ft. Interlocking plastic bumpers left over from a playground I built my son last year. I had enough to make an 8ft. x 8ft. 16" high enclosure for him. I took some spare untreated thin plywood and wedged between the bumpers in 1 corner to make somewhat of the shelter. Does this seem sufficient to get me started or will it need to be bigger? Right now he measures about 8" from front to back. Thanks guys.

mtm

Also i read where they can eat mulberry leaves. Is this correct? If so, i have a small mulberry tree just feet from where i put the enclosure

uploadfromtaptalk1403298888800.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is the inside of that material/panels easily able to be climbed? I mean, is it slippery or can the tort get traction? Also, that wood shelf should be at the absolute top of the corner, as it is high/low enough for the tort to hook his front strong legs onto and push with the back legs right onto the top and then aliup on over the side.....they are avid climbers....in the corners I would place the same type of wood cap to not allow him to scale the corners (kinda like spider man)....You will want to scooch the entire enclosure over to where some (like half of it at least) of the enclosure has shade for the entire time the tort will be out there....also keep in mind what type of predators you have in your area, you would be surprised what trouble an exposed tortoise can find himself in.....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, mulberry is a FAV....let him eat away...I mean, only if you don't use insecticides/pesticides/fertilizers and such on the items/grazing areas...

mtm

No i don't use that stuff, the bumper material is a smooth hard plastic. Good idea on moving the wood up. Also the area i have it only sees sun from about noon to 3:00 thanks to a large mature maple.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good....also, keep in mind that either this tort had an enclosure somewhere else and walked away from it---either because someone left a gate open, the tort aliup and out or dug under its space....or, it was let loose for whatever reason....on the first, second pic along with the pic the tort is drinking water...on the shell it has the tall tell signs that this tort has been underground (likely a burrow somewhere dug for its survival)....it would be fun (well, to me in my weird ways) to try and back track where that torts foot prints have been (leading up to where you found the tort or around the area) and see if you can run across where the tort has been hunkered down....what time of day did you come across the tort? am or late pm? or after the rainfall--it appears you have been having rain fall? Just curious is all :)

mtm

Rainfall just began. First rain in about a month. I backtracked and couldnt make heads or tails as far as where he came from. I found him at about 8:45 this morning.

What are your thoughts on this shelter instead of one in the corner? I put it more towards the middle where if he does crawl on it, he wont get anywhere. I cut a bucket in half and put some seasoned wood over it. Do you think its big enough and will he find it?

uploadfromtaptalk1403300208975.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403300324992.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403300333352.jpg

mtm

I have an extra panel of metal from where i built my lawn mower shed that could help shade as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1403300593402.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I suspected you came across him either in the am or after rain...these guys will come out during the middle of the night, if they feel or seem to smell rain, just to dig a spot to drink from....even ones that have been captive a bit longer will eventually go back to this behavior if offered that opportunity over time...

You could slide that pieces of metal a bit more directly over the hide and then place something to secure it in place, so if it rains and the wind kicks up that piece can be blown into the space and be used as a ramp right on out :D can you tell I am a bit ocd ...lol...based entirely on knowing what they can and will do---it is just their make up....and this is moreso right now because you don't know his story---so his desire may be to get back to where he was -----he will likely burrow, do I would do a couple visual inspections of this space each day (especially during the am and pm hours) to assure no planned escapes....lol.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I do hope that you find the tortoises original owner but if you don't hear is in good hands now. You're very creative and it will be fun to upgrade the Tortoise enclosure if you end up keeping him.