Stumbled across my first Tortoise. Berlandier's/Texas?

mtm

Ideally i would like to find the owner as well but in the mean time i want to ensure he is comfortable and safe. Does the bucket shelter i built seem sufficient?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, if the hide is in a shady cool (not wet) spot, it should do fine...but the test will be in if the tort agrees.....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe he's just a youngster, but male Texas tortoises have a much more pronounced concave plastron. I'm wondering if this might be a western desert tortoise or maybe a gopher tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ideally i would like to find the owner as well but in the mean time i want to ensure he is comfortable and safe. Does the bucket shelter i built seem sufficient?

Move it back under the overhang so its in the shade and it should be fine.

mtm

Cell phone battery is too low to take a picture but i put him inside the black bumper boundary. He walked around and grazed a little then went right into his makeshift shelter. He's been in there for probably a 1/2 hour now. Must like it enough to count sheep. How do you guys house them in the winter months?

mtm

Also, with my iguana when i was younger i had to supply a heat rock for digestion. I have some nice flat creek rocks, should i put one in there in the sunlight to help him out?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The CDTs here brumate during the winter months......and the flat creek rock will likely be appreciated during the end of the day....also, if I were you I would plan to bring him in just before night/nightfall and place him in a tote or box that he can move a little in to get comfy but not so big he can get himself stuck wrong...and place the box in a dark quiet place and let him sleep there and then put him outdoors during the day ....again, please keep in mind any predators in your area....and also keep in mind if the area that you have him in will flood or not if you should get a heavy downpour.....

mtm

Ok will do. As far as predators in my area i can't think of any other than your normal coyotes, possums, racoons, and other nocturnal creatures. But if i am to bring him indoors at night that should be okay i would think. There is also the occasional stray house cat from time to time, do they show any interest in tortoises?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Plastron males are very concave and more oblong towards the flank

and during this time of the year...their chin glands are very obvious.....that was why I asked.....but always like to get anothers opinion....I however, am still not convinced you have a texas tort though......:D I am more in line with he came originally from my side of the US ....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ah now....see...then you go and get a pic with the horn in much better form.....possibly a younger male.....still don't think you have a texan though....ok, I am going to call male and stick with that (well, for now anyways...apologies, I am a female and have a tendency to utilize my right to change my mind a gazillion times)...see, I am not good at guessing via a pic, I am usually bang on if I am holding in my hand for evaluation...so lets see what the others say....I love this part :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, upon further peeking...this tort I am convinced has a burrow somewhere....look at how tidy those nails are...those are digging nails...keep an eye on him a bit moreso during the next week....even peek at him whithout him knowing you are..(sounds silly huh, but man are they private and man are they smart )...

mtm

This is why i thought the sex was male. Good sized indention on the bottom right before the hind legs.

uploadfromtaptalk1403309556275.jpg

mtm

And one being lazy right after I woke him up to transfer to the habitat.

uploadfromtaptalk1403309620441.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Okay I just have to say this. I am not familiar with this type of Tortoise but in looking at all the pictures they seem to have the longest legs!